(10) Rushmoor Borough Council

You are here: Home  > (10) Rushmoor Borough Council
*** Click here for pdf of 2018 Rushmoor Urban Park Survey (UPS) Update *** ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Click Research to do page for sites still to be researched. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- UPS 1997 - The Urban Parks Study was prepared for Hampshire County Council by Land Use Consultants, HGT Researchers contributed to the historic content of the survey

Showing 19 from 19 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Aldershot Manor Park

    Manor Park is Aldershot’s main park, an exceptionally well maintained attractive thriving park, popular with all ages and members of society. It plays a significance role in the local history and is the main location for major events in central Aldershot, such as the annual fireworks spectacular. The Heroes’ Shrine is important as the concept is probably unique.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1287 Parish: Aldershot Park Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area: 7.5 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Aldershot Military Cemetery (Historic England)

    HCC Summary: The military garrison first arrived in 1853 and the burial ground was enclosed in 1856 & has been in use for military personnel since then. In 1879 the wooden mortuary chapel was replaced with the present brick & slate structure.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1846 Parish: Wellington Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: E H Grade II* Area: c6 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Cove Brook Linear Park (Cove Brook Greenway)

    An important public green space, created in the late 1990s, through collaboration with different parties as a linear park along the existing Cole Brook. Now supported, planted and managed by a voluntary group, there is clear evidence of wide community use emphasising its value. Interpretation boards identify wildlife interest along the route.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1288 Parish: Cove & Southwood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area: 4 mile linear path
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Farnborough Grange

    HCC Summary:
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1742 Parish: Cherrywood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Housing Estate

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Farnborough Hill School

    Originally a large estate that occupied a plantation of fishponds, cricket ground, cycle track, and icehouse to the west of the A325, is now a housing estate except for 24 acres (c10 ha) of the Queen Elizabeth Woodland Park in the south. The eastern part of the estate largely remains and is owned by Farnborough Hill Convent School. The house was designed by H.E. Kendall in 1860 with later school additions by Albert Scott Gilbert. Gardens and parkland occupy a significant green space in an otherwise build-up area. The house and association with Empress Eugenie, mausoleum and St Michael’s Abbey, designed in the French style by Destaillier in The Coombs, is an added dimension to the areas historical heritage.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1741 Parish: Empress Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Grade I listing Area: 60 acres
    Access: Access to School Ownership: The Farnborough Hill Trust

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    King George V Playing Fields (Knellwood)

    The park is a good example of an open space that serves the recreational needs of the local people. The oak avenue is the main feature which gives reference to the parks history although there are other mature parkland trees, particularly in the margins.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1295 Parish: Knellwood ward
    Designations: Area: 1.2 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Manor Lodge

    HCC Summary:Post 1810 Park
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1296 Parish:
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Private

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Municipal Gardens and Play area

    The Gardens significance lies in its carefully preserved and maintained character as a Victorian park, and in its central role on Remembrance Day. Some of the splendid specimen trees – mostly ash, chestnut and yew – may date from the original planting.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1289 Parish: Rowhill Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area: 1.5 ha
    Access: Public Access. See opening times Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Prince Consort's Army Library

    HCC Summary: Built in 1859-60 endowed by Prince Albert for education of army personnel. It was extended in 1911 & is still in use.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1744 Parish: Wellington ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Princes Gardens

    The Gardens are very attractive and well maintained with no vandalism evident and very little litter.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1290 Parish: Wellington Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area: 0.6 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Queen Elizabeth Park

    The Queen Elizabeth Park, retains extensive woodland areas dating from its existence as part of a significant private estate, as well as strong historical and current connections together with other existing remnants of the Farnborough Hill Estate – St Michaels Abbey and Farnborough Hill School (once the Empress Eugenie’s house). The park is of local heritage merit.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1292 Parish: Empress Ward, Farnborough
    Designations: Area: 16 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Redan Hill Fortifications (Aldershot High Street Recreation Ground)

    Redan Hill is an area of military historical importance with recently reinstated historical features.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1285 Parish:
    Designations: Area: 3 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Royal Pavilion

    HCC Summary: The military arrived in 1853 & a timber pavilion built, which the royal party used when reviewing the troops. This was demolished in the 1960s & replaced by a nurse training school. The site now houses a computer science complex, still called “Royal Pavilion.”
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1291 Parish: Wellington Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Rushmoor Arena

    HCC Summary:First royal review in 1935

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1792 Parish:
    Designations: I Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Military site

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ship Lane Cemetery

    HCC Summary:

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1831 Parish:
    Designations: Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Rushmoor Borough Council

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Michael's Abbey (& the Coomb)

    HCC Summary: It was founded in 1881 by the Empress Eugénie as a mausoleum for her husband Napoleon III & their son where she now rests, all in granite sarcophagi provided by Queen Victoria.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1293 Parish: Empress Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Limited Public Access. See opening times Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Peter's School (Farnborough Park, Farnborough Place)

    HCC Summary: The original Manor House became Farnborough Place which is Grade 2 listed. Early in C20 it was a prep school for boys & then a nursing home. Then followed a period as an hotel through WW II until it was an Int Turbine School. In 1962 it became St Peter’s School. Most of the land had been sold for housing.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1294 Parish: Knellwood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership:

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Sycamores

    HCC Summary: It was built in mid 1860s on land that had been part of Farnborough Place. The nuns at Hillside Convent College moved into the house during WW I. Builder bought house and slowly built on land. House demolished in 1979 to build new houses.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1743 Parish: Knellwood Ward, Rushmoor
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: Multiple Private

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Wellington Monument (& setting)

    HCC Summary: The monument was built to be mounted on the arch at Hyde Park Corner. It was completed in 1846. In 1888 due to traffic problems it was moved to Aldershot. It deteriorated but in 2004 renovation was undertaken & a friends group set up.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1862 Parish: Wellington Ward, Aldershot
    Designations: Area:
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Ministry of Defence

    For more details, click the name above