(05) Gosport Borough Council

You are here: Home  > (05) Gosport Borough Council
Click Research to do page for sites still to be researched. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- UPS 1997 - The Urban Parks Study was prepared for Hampshire County Council by Land Use Consultants, HGT Researchers contributed to the historic content of the survey

Showing 24 from 24 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Alverbank Hotel (Alver House)

    Alver House was the Summer residence of John Croker, built around 1840 overlooking Stokes Bay with gardens bounded by trees and a walled garden. Land and the walled garden became part of Stanley Park in the 1940s. The remaining grounds provide a setting for the Gr II listed house, that is now a hotel.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1816 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: House LB II Area:
    Access: Access to Hotel Ownership: Private commercial

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Anglesey Lodge Care Home (Anglesey Lodge)

    The Lodge is a stucco faced listed villa (Grade II) built sometime in the 1830-40s. South of the villa some of the layout and planting of the early 19th century villa garden remains providing a setting for the listed building. It is now a care home.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1927 Parish:
    Designations: Lodge LB II Area: n/k
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Hampshire County Council

    Site to be researched – click the name above re Grade II listing

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Ann's Hill Cemetery

    A mid-19th century cemetery, chapels and a lodge designed by Thomas Ellis Owen that was extended in 1887 with a further extension at the end of the century to the west side of St Ann’s Hill Road where a war memorial cross was erected after the 1st world war. The war graves are managed by the War Graves Commission.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1828 Parish:
    Designations: Chapel – local listing Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bastion No 1

    Bastion No 1 is a rare survivor of a 1802 military rampart that formed defences to Portsmouth harbour. In 1840, sluice gates were constructed to allow water to remain in the moat at low tide. Since the local council acquired the land from the MOD in 1955 a number of renovations have taken place, and it has become an historically important and popular public open space.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1747 Parish:
    Designations: CA, LP , SMR I Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above.

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Bay House School (Bay House)

    Bay House is a Grade II Gothic-style house designed by Decimus Burton in 1838-40 for Alexander Baring as a Summer residence. Large woodland reputedly designed by Joseph Paxton in extensive grounds. 17 acres, including the woodland donated in 1944 to Gosport by Lt-Col Sloane Stanley to form Stanley Park. Bay House now a Gosport Academy, with grounds mainly built over.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1748 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: House and Lodge LB II Area:
    Access: Access to School Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Clayhall Royal Naval Cemetery (Historic England)

    Clayhall Royal Naval Cemetery, 1859, is registered for the following principal reasons: *Historic interest: for its place in the development of Haslar as the earliest facility for the health and welfare of naval personnel, and within the wider landscape of Gosport and Portsmouth, one of the most significant sites in English naval history; * Landscape design interest: a restrained design focussing attention on the grave markers and memorials; * Funerary monuments: a varied collection of individual graves and groups of uniform headstones, including an unusual group with bronze plaques, and a rare enclosed Turkish burial ground; * Group value: with the listed cemetery chapel and commemorative monuments, and with the numerous highly-graded listed naval structures in the wider vicinity.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1833 Parish:
    Designations: CA, LP, Chapel LB II Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access – check opening times Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Crescent Gardens Alverstoke

    HCC Summary: Ornamental garden created in 1826 as part of Anglesey Ville. By 1949 become a wilderness, handed to Gosport Borough Council as public open space. In 1989 renovation was started and friends formed in 1991.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1746 Parish: Alverstoke
    Designations: Area: 1.36 acres
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details of Friend’s Group, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Falkland Gardens, The (The Esplanade)

    Falklands Gardens are a 1920s public park that has retained its central circular fountain and radiating paths, with some additions and modifications around the periphery. It provides an amenity for ferry passengers and a splendid place to watch the traffic through and around Portsmouth Harbour. The additional promenade to Trinity Green Time-Space and Walpole Park provides an added attraction and a very pleasant walk.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1749 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: Area: Small
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Foster Gardens

    Foster Gardens are an excellent and intact example of a 1930’s designed ‘pocket park’ with a central pond and pergolas, annual bedding, ornamental planting and mature boundary trees.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1745 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: Area: 0.4 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Gosport Park

    Gosport Park is a valuable and well-used park dominated by well-maintained formal recreation provision and amenity grassland. Its original design features have been much diluted. The park feels a safe place but the aspect is bleak with very little visual interest apart from the views out of the park. The shoreline, potentially an asset to the park, is uninteresting.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1750 Parish:
    Designations: Area: 9.5 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Grove Road Recreation Ground

    Grove Road Recreation Ground is an extremely flat and exposed park apparently created from an ex landfill site. There is a play area, seats, and good views over the estuary to Forton Lake.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1753 Parish:
    Designations: Area: 4.7ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    Site to be researched; for more details of the equipment of the park, click the name above, and then the linke to the Gosport Borough Park website

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hermitage Wildlife Garden, The

    Hermitage Wildlife Garden was the garden of Victorian Hermitage House, and possibly the site of much earlier building. In 1996 it was saved from development and turned into a wildlife haven by local residents with the remains of a C19 Folly, pond, paths, seats, wildflowers and an abundance of wildlife.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1752 Parish:
    Designations: n/k Area: n/k
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details and a link to the history and local information, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Lee-on-Solent Memorial Garden

    Lee-on-Solent Memorial Garden is a sea front sunken remembrance garden to commemorate those fallen from the area in two world wars.

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1981 Parish: Gosport

    Designations: Area: 0.04 ha
    Access: Public access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Priddy's Hard

    Priddy’s Hard was the site of Officer’s houses c1786 that were demolished in 1952. Early maps show gardens to the rear of the houses for fruit, vegetables and flowers; formal lawns and paths were at the front. There were views across Forton Lake. Side gardens formed a green belt between the Ramparts and Grand Magazine (museum LB I). The site has now been developed.

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1761 Parish: Elson (E)
    Designations: CA, AHBR Area:
    Access: Public Access to Explosion Museum Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched, click the name above to access information on the developement of the site

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Privett Gardens

    Privett Gardens were establised in a 1930s housing development with grassed areas, a mound and some mature tree and shrub boundaries with a central display area, originally planted with roses, now with shrubs and four large yews. In 2013 it was a small, well-maintained park, frequently used or passed through by residents.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1754 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: Area: 1.6 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Rowner Walk

    Rowner Walk is an important recreational facility for local residents in a heavily built up area.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1755 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: CA, SINC Area: 25.4 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Royal Clarence Yard, Flagstaff Green

    The Officers houses (LB II) were built c1832, 1st ed OS maps show mature gardens to the rear, with four distinct areas for Officers use, paths, trees and lawns. The site as been developed with the gardens included in the new landscaping that provide a setting for the listed houses.

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1760 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: CA, AHBR, LP Area:
    Access: Historic site Ownership: n/k

    Site to be researched, click the name above for a link to the development of the area.

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Royal Haslar Hospital, The (Historic England)

    HE Summary: The grounds of the first large naval hospital, opened in 1753 and completed in 1762, which was influential in Britain and Europe. The strongly axial design was further developed during the C19, including the addition of enclosed airing-court gardens overlooking the Solent to the south-east, and a separate isolation hospital set in its own grounds. The Hospital closed in 2009.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1751 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: HE Grade II,
    Various buildings LB II
    Area: 23 ha
    Access: No public access Ownership: Our Enterprise

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    St Georges Barracks North

    St Geroges Officer’s Barracks were built in 1858 and are listed (LB II). In 2002, the Barracks were restored to residential use with the new landscaping providing a setting for the listed buildings.

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1814 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: CA, SAM, LP Area:
    Access: No Public Access Ownership: Military site

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Stanley Park

    Stanley Park is a popular public park created in the mid-20th century from former 19th century parkland of Bay House designed by Decimus Burton, and built in 1840 for the First Lord Ashburton. The park includes some land and the walled garden from adjoining Alver House.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1756 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: House and Lodge LB II Area: ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: School – Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Stokes Bay

    In the 1860s, military defences around Gosport were built that included Stokes Bay Lines’ and Battery No 2. In 1955. the Local Council bought the land, filled in the moat and grassed it over, tennis courts and a putting green were laid, and is now used as public open space.

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1815 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: AHBR, SINC, SSSI Area:
    Access: Public access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Stokesmead Field

    Stokesmead Field is a high value open space due to its waterside location, is an important feature of the Anglesey Conservation Area and provides a setting for a number of important buildings in the adjoining Alverstoke Conservation Area

    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1757 Parish: Gosport
    Designations: CA Area: 1.2 ha
    Access: Public access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    Site to be researched

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Trinity Green and Trinity Green Time Space

    Trinity Green, originally a mid-18th century churchyard, now forms an open space surrounding Trinity Green Church that was redesigned in the 19th century by Reginald Blomfield, who also designed the adjoining campanile. This Green and the Time Space now provide the link and central features in a millennium development between Falkland Gardens, the Ferry Terminal, and Walpole Park.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1758 Parish:
    Designations: Area: c 2 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Walpole Park

    Walpole Park is a late C19 urban park that has been reduced in size and is now divided into two sections by a road. Since the millennium, a popular route-way links Trinity Green, Trinity Green Time Space, the esplanade path, the ferry terminal & Falkland Gardens.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————————–
    HCC Site ID: 1759 Parish:
    Designations: Area: c 11 ha
    Access: Public Access Ownership: Gosport Borough Council

    For more details, click the name above