|HCC Site ID:||1169||Parish:||Yateley|
|Designations:||CA; House LB II*;
stable block LB II
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Offices/Private|
Image: The Canal – remains 26/10/2000
This medieval moated site, has a relatively high status house, with an encircling moat and with upper and lower pools fed by a stream that are mentioned in the manor court descripton, and were described, together with a drawbridge, about 1680. The present house, which externally appears about 1700, contains substantial medieval timbers. The walled garden is dated 1704, and about this time three sides of the moat were filled in and the fourth side widened and extended to form a canal along the eastern side of the house. The parkland, with its ha-ha, was developed during the earlier part of the 18th century, and extended to the west as far as School Lane and extensively towards the south west. An avenue of oak trees was planted each side of the drive to the house about 1840, and shrubberies and woodland around the house at about the same time. The general layout and appearance remained substantially unchanged until well after the second world war, when the upper and lower ponds were filled in, and part so the park and walled garden were redeveloped for a school and housing.
The house is scheduled Grade II*, and the stable block separately as Grade II. The ornamental canal, the ha-ha, the immediate lawns and parkland, shrubberies, drive avenue trees all remain substantially unaltered. The wall to the walled gardens, and walks beside the canal survive in part.
The site contains features from an early 18th garden, including ornamental canal developed form original medieval moat, kitchen garden, and parkland with ha-ha, drive, shrubberies, and avenue. They all form a setting to the 18th house (II*) and stable block (II).
Information: October 2000
For fuller history click here