|HCC Site ID:||1502||Parish:||Bramdean|
|Designations:||SDNP, House LB II*||Area:||41.25 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple Private|
Location and Site
Woodcote Manor is situated south-east of Bramdean and south of the A272 Winchester to Petersfield. It is in a woodland setting and within the South Downs National Park. Bramdean is approximately 10 miles east of Winchester.
The origins of the manor of Woodcote lie in the reign of Richard 1 in the late twelfth century. The oldest surviving parts date back to the seventeenth century. These consist of the manor house, the walled garden, the coach house and a barn. Around these buildings lay a small park, wooded behind the house and open to the West in front. The drive to the house wound through the park along an avenue of sweet chestnuts. The park was enclosed in the late eighteenth century. New developments followed: a new stable block was built; a ha-ha separated lawn from park; and two stew ponds were created just beyond the ha-ha. Little changed in the nineteenth century but in l911 Sir Reginald Blomfield made new designs for house and garden. By diverting the carriage drive to a new entrance he created more space for lawns. To these he added a pergola and gazebo. He introduced brick walls and topiary which gave the house a more formal setting.
There are many points of interest in the estate. There is the survival of the eighteenth century parkland with its trees where it is still possible to make out the course of the old drive. The woodland copse remains and is particularly colourful in the Spring with daffodils and bluebells. The kitchen garden is little changed from its layout and plantings from the late nineteenth century and is a good example of a kitchen garden of that time. The collection of ancillary buildings is of interest too. Both coach house and barn in the yard are listed buildings and the stables, though not so old, occupy the site of the original stable block. The gardener’s cottage, designed by Blomfield is close by and is also listed. Blomfield’s other designs for park and garden remain, defining the garden areas around the house in a more formal way.
Of medieval origins, Woodcote Manor lies in a small late 18thC landscape park. 18th C walled garden. Sir Reginald Blomfield (1911) redesigned the park and garden to give them more structure. Listed buildings include the seventeenth century coach house and barn;gardener’s cottage by Blomfield.
HGT Research: September 2003
Taylor 1759 Old-Hampshire Mapped ttp://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/hantsmap/hantsmap
Milne 1791 Old-Hampshire Mapped
1808 OS drawings 81 Hampshire County Council
OS map 1st ed 1″ 1810 Old-Hampshire Mapped
Greenwood 1826 Old-Hampshire Mapped
Tithe map and apportionment HRO 21M65/F1 and 2
OS map 1st ed 6″ 1870 Hampshire County Council
OS map 2nd ed 6″ 1897 Hampshire County Council
OS map 3rd ed 6″ 1910-11 Hampshire County Council
Mastermap 2005 Hampshire County Council
Hampshire Record Office
7M54/170 Estimate for new stable block 1791
Malmesbury estate matter 7M54/170
Sales details 1921 38M82/11
Kelly’s directory 1927
Sales details 2003 38M82/116
Page W Victoria County History, vol 3 1911
Campion A Recent History of Hampshire, Wiltshire & Dorset 1923
Illustrative plans of layout of house, garden and park before changes of 1911 Hampshire County Council