|HCC Site ID:||1589||Parish:||Upham|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Wintershill Hall is situated west of Bishop’s Waltham village, south of the B2177 road between the village and Winchester. It is in the Durley claylands with long views from a high position and is within the South Downs National Park.
In 1693 the parcel of land at the top of Winters Hill was in the hands of Richard Ffriend but Wintershill Estate did not exist until the Enclosures Act in the middle of the 19thC. In 1838 Charles Marett held the land and George Henry Stares held the adjoining land. These two families were in partnership as attorneys at the end of the 18th century. At the time of the Enclosures the Common Lands were now called Stroudwood Common and Wintershill Common (formerly Parkhurst and Wintershill Heath). By 1852 Stares had acquired the Wintershill site where he built the first substantial stone house; after his death his widow lived there until the 1880s when it was finally bought by John Snow Moss.
1902 – Moss enlarged Wintershill house by adding the larger part with the stone façade and he renamed it Wintershill Hall, though the 3rd Ed OS map, 1910, still carries the name Wintershill House. At this time, Upper Lodge (which is called South Lodge on current maps) lay to the south of the house, at a mid point of the western edge of the parkland.
1939 – There were still 70 acres.
The OS map, 2001, shows a second dwelling, Park Cottage, nearby but the extent of the parkland remains. The views to White Hill on the N side are superb however the views to Durley on the N side are marred by pylons.
In the 1980s there were clumps of oak in the parkland mixed with hornbeam and beeches and some pines with specimen trees in clumps around the house and on the lawn. There was a cedar of Lebanon on the lawn to the south of the house. There were two glasshouses and fruit trees formed an archway through the centre of the garden. There was also a circular pond with clumps of oaks around and a sundial in the rose garden engraved with two dragons and the words ‘Tyme flyes’. Outbuildings consist of a stables and a coach house with a weather vane on top, with a water pump nearby.
It has not been possible to view the site to ascertain if the above are still there.
Until the Enclosures Act, mid-19th century, the area was common land. Wintershill House built by George Henry Stares in the 1850s. Enlarged 1902 by John Snow Moss. 70 acres of parkland, with clumps of oak, hornbeam and beeches. Superb views in one direction, marred by pylons in the other.
Information from HCC, 1989
Stowell H M, ‘Wintershill Hall, Hampshire, from the period of Roman Occupation to 1972 Commissioned by Prudence Elizabeth Balfour for Commander Colin Balfour, Royal Navy of Wintershill Hall, on the occasion of his tenure in the office of High Sherriff of Hampshire, Chichester Press 1972