|HCC Site ID:||1143||Parish:||Hartley Wintney|
|Designations:||House LB II, SINC||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residence|
Image from Winchfield House website 3/1/2015
Lady Charlotte Beauclerk in the late 18th century built Winchfield House. In 1839 the main railway from Winchfield to Basingstoke opened. This skirted the most southerly section of the parkland. It may have been during its construction that the road, which had separated the large fishpond to the south west of the house, was now diverted south. At the time of the 1st edition O.S. map of 1870s the house is set in a ‘Capability Brown’ type landscape. It was built on an embankment with parkland and the large pond to the south; a walled garden set at a little distance north of the house; stable block; approach drive with lodge from the north west; Mabs Copse to the north east, and Pigeon House Farm to the south east. The south lodge was built a little later, shown on the 1911 O.S. map but not noted as a lodge until the 1932 O.S. map.
The construction of the M3 motorway, in the mid 1980’s, cut through the southerly section of the parkland near Pigeon House Farm. Even with the M3 being relatively near the views are particularly good, and are an important part of the character of the site. In 1997 the kitchen garden was leased to a nursery; there were some fine trees, in the park and on the lawn; a carp lake with water lilies and boathouse, and a thatched summerhouse. Treen House has been built in the northern part of the park off the approach drive. Winchfield House, the 2 lodges and the stable block are Grade II listed.
Winchfield is an 18th century house on high ground with views; well-wooded park, pond, walled garden, lodges and gardens. The natural topography and historic development of the landscape give the park and its surroundings a strong character and unity that transcends the impact of the motorway.
Information: October 2000