|HCC Site ID:||1531||Parish:||Hambledon|
|Designations:||SDNP, SMR House LB II||Area:||c3 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Images: Knight Frank Sales Catalogue, June 2013
Location and Site
Whitedale House is situated north east of Hambledon on Hambledon Downs with woodland to the south east of the site. Hambledon village is approximately thirteen miles north of Portsmouth and the area is within the South Downs National Park.
Historic Development and current Description
The house is mainly 18th century in origins with early and late 19th century extensions and stands in 8.5 ha (21 acres). There are many mature trees such as lime, sycamore, plane, beech, yew and ash as well as a belt of yew and woodland. Features include a stone and herringbone brick terrace with magnolia and climbing roses and a brick and flint retaining wall to the lawn. There is a walled area of grass adjoining the stable yard and on the south west boundary of the property a further partly walled area and orchard. At one time there was an icehouse.
A 19th century house set in pleasant grounds with lawns and perimeter woodland belts; partly walled area and stables; previously had an icehouse.
Information: April 2003