|HCC Site ID.||1032||Parish:||Boldre|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Wereburne Manor stands on rising ground and is surrounded by gently undulating arable land, except for woodland and the Vicars Hill and Gilpins estates to the south. It is bounded by the narrow Hundred, School and Warborne Lanes.
It is thought to have been rebuilt c1878 by Mr David Jones, JP replacing an earlier manor house on the site. The name Wereburne or Warborne dates at least from the C14 and there may have been one of King John’s hunting lodges here previously.
The 1st edition 25” OS map of the 1870’s shows a rectangular house set among trees with an extensive walled garden and other gardens to the south. The large pit to the west is most likely a pond, shown on an earlier print, with parkland beyond and to the north. The approach drive from the west shows an elongated oval sweep, which continues past the house to stables and on to farm buildings to the northeast.
The 1898 edition 25” OS map shows a larger house on the same site with an extension to the northeast, and a veranda and conservatory on the south face. There is now a lawn in place of the walled garden, which has been moved further to the east and extended southwards. The earlier pond has become a fishpond and extended northwards. According to the 2000 OS map, the external dimensions of the house appear to have remained unchanged, apart from the addition of a west-facing porch to the house, shown on the 1908 OS map
There are now few trees in the grounds or in the park, which is probably now pastureland. The fishpond remains and the outline of the gardens can be traced. A line of conifers probably planted c1880, between the farm and the Hundred Lane boundary in the south, still stands. Since 1878 the estate has had numerous owners and tenants, which may account for the few changes made to the house and grounds.
House rebuilt c1878 on the site of earlier house, which dates at least from the C14 and could possibly have been one of King John’s Hunting Lodges. Late C19 parkland, walled garden, fishpond, formal gardens and conifer avenue; fishpond, walled garden and avenue remain, parkland probably now pasture with a few mature trees.
HGT Research: September 2002