|HCC Site ID:||1138||Parish:||Hartley Wintney|
|Designations:||CA, House LB II*||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residence|
In 1899 Robert Weir Schultz converted a C16 barn in Phoenix Green for his own occupation and lived there until his death in 1951. He gradually transformed the land from fields into a series of ‘garden rooms’, by planting topiary hedges and a shelterbelt of trees to give protection and privacy. The garden provides the setting for the listed Grade II* Arts and Crafts House, and reflects garden design at the turn of the 20th century. The overall structure of the garden remains as it was in Schultz’s time. The sunken garden, the croquet lawn, the mulberry tree, and much of the topiary remain. The bowling alley is now a walkway, and the large garden beyond the sunken garden is a croquet lawn. A new garage has been erected on the site of the old one.
Arts and Crafts garden and setting to listed grade II house, home of designer Weir Schultz.
Hanson, Michael, Country Life: February 5 1987 ‘Converting The Cathedrals of Farming’.
Ottewill, D., ‘The Edwardian Garden’ 1989 p.122/3