|HCC Site ID:||1560||Parish:||Old Alresford|
|Designations:||House LB II*||Area:||Large|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and site
Upton Park is situated east of the hamlet of Old Alresford, wedged with the Church and Old Alresford House for approximately half a mile, between two minor country roads. Open farmland and chalk downland is to the east. The hamlet is approximately nine miles north east of Winchester and one mile north of Alresford.
Upton House is medium-sized country house, built circa 1764 by Mr Rodney, brother of Admiral Rodney, and much enlarged and altered in the late 18th and 19th centuries. It is brick stuccoed with Portland stone dressings. A Doric porch is approached by a short flight of steps with flanking stone balustrading. The interior has a large entrance hall with scagliola column arcade, moulded doors, panels and chimney piece. During the early 19th century, the house was occupied by a branch of the Onslow family then by Mr J P Christie.
Within large walled gardens, there are terraced lawns to the rear with a ha-ha and park beyond. An icehouse in very good condition remains. A recent avenue has been created away from the main grounds of the house, leading to an obelisk, also of recent origin.
Medium-sized late 18th century country house; terraced lawns with a ha-ha and park; icehouse in good condition; modern avenue leading to obelisk.
Information: April 2003