|HCC Site ID:||1582||Parish:||Twyford|
|Designations:||House LB II*, SDNP, SMR, SSSI||Area:||Medium|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Twyford Lodge is situated in Twyford village just north of the Church on a terrace above the River Itchen. The village is three miles south of Winchester and lies on chalk at the northern edge of the Hampshire Basin and is within the South Downs National Park.
The house is Grade II* listed late 18th century, with 19th century additions . The north east corner at the back of the house was demolished in the early 20th century. There is a record of 1789 which refers to the copyholder as William Davies Shipley who appears to have leased the house to John Shakespear, probably related to William Shakespeare through his brother. Four years later after the death of John Shakespear’s wife, Mary, the house may have been sold to George Hoar. The next occupier was John Thomas Waddington who lived there in the mid-19th C, then purchased the house in 1859 from Conway Shipley. A succession of leases followed until the early 20th C when Alexander Pandia Ralli lived there. A member of the Gilbey family, Samuel Barker Peech and a Frenchman who gutted the horse boxes in the stables for the high quality pine timber, were the occupants until 1965 when the Lodge was bought by Alderman Anthony Hill and lived in by his widow until 1999, when it was sold to Sir Christopher Bellamy.
The first ed 6” OS map, 1869, shows the entrance drive sweeping round to the west elevation ending in a circular area. To the rear and east, there are two walled (kitchen) gardens. More formal gardens lie to the south with a network of paths through the trees. A path runs round the perimeter of the grounds and parkland lies between the house and the river. In the northern part of the grounds there is a large walled garden and an orchard. Beyond this lies Hockley Farm, which by 1938-40 (fourth ed OS map 25”) has become Hockley House and the orchard area has disappeared. The whole gives the appearance of a small country house with pleasure gardens and parkland, all on a small scale. The Map accompanying the Sales Particulars for 1947, include land and buildings to the east of Church Lane. By 1999, when the house was sold again, this land was no longer part of the estate. In the late 1960s the entrance drive was stopped on the north side of the house and yew hedges were planted round the circular part of the old drive. A lawned terrace and a sunken garden were built and an earlier low wall with the effect of a ha-ha, was incorporated. The 1st ed OS map as well as the 2nd ed of 1896 and the 3rd ed of 1910-11 show that the area of the garden was extended into the parkland at least three times.
Despite some unfortunate changes in the 1960s, there are many remaining features of the early parkland. An interesting feature is a rustic hut with a designed floor; a small rectangle appears in the same position on the 1st ed OS map (1869) which suggests it may have been in the original garden scheme. There are also some crumbling brick steps to the parkland area. The perimeter path in the ‘wilderness’ part of the gardens remains a strong feature of the grounds and the views over the arable fields to the river Itchen reflect the peaceful nature of the site.
There is a Gate Lodge, garages and former stables (largely rebuilt in 1991) which stand at the entrance to the Lodge forming an attractive courtyard of buildings entered through a pillared gateway. The entrance drive leads to 21 acres of well-timbered matured gardens and grounds, including lawns, two kitchen gardens with glasshouses and an unused walled garden close to the river Itchen. While the remodelling of the sunken garden near the house in the 1960s unfortunately did not enhance the grounds, the design of the early C18 site is largely still in place.
Small, late 18th century country house with 19th century additions, stables and coach house. Park with matured gardens and ground including two kitchen gardens and glasshouses.
Information, February 2003