|HCC Site ID:||1348/1349||Parish:||Froyle|
|Designations:|| CA, Manor House LB II*,
Froyle House, Stables,
Malths, Kitchen garden wall all LB II
|Area:|| Froyle Estate 6.73 ha,
Manor House 20 ha
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Being developed for housing (2013)|
Location and site
The Parish of Froyle covers an area of open, arable upland south of a chalk ridge running from Alton to Farnham. To the south-east lies the River Wey beyond which is the forest of Alice Holt. Treloar School is situated at the southern end of Upper Froyle, a dispersed linear settlement, just north of the A31, which follows the valley of the Wey, and approximately three miles east of Alton. The original house, Froyle Place was built next to the church with commanding views across the valley. Its estate included parkland running down to the valley a home farm known as the Manor House and, on the opposite side of the road, Froyle House.
Originally owned by the church, the area was noted for its orchards. In 1236 the Abbess of St Mary’s Winchester sold ‘three tuns of cider’ made from the apples here. (Caldicott 1989) Built on an older site, Froyle Place has been occupied since the mid 1500s by people of influence and power which has been reflected in the development of the house and its land.In 1606 the house is described as ‘A fayre house built of freestone with outhouses,orchards, gardens, courts &c: contaynnige about 4 acres of ground incompassed with a stone wall.’ ( HRO 3M49/18)
Between 1765 -82 the house and estate were sold piecemeal to Sir Thomas Miller, 5th baronet and it remained in his family until 1947. Towards the end of the 18th century, the principal rooms were modernized in the style of Adam. The gardens were mainly created during the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th. The 1st edition OS map of 1870-71 shows Froyle Place surrounded by mature gardens including a terrace and formal beds, avenues of trees, a ha-ha and kitchen gardens.
During the 1800s Froyle was famed for its hop-growing and every farm had an oasthouse. The Manor House to the east of Froyle Place has a big group of oasts. The Manor contains a staircase, thought to be no later than 1703 that has the under-surface of the upper flight decorated with landscapes. (Hussey CL 1941)
In 1912 the house was let to Mr F B Summers who employed a staff of seven in the garden that is described as having been ‘laid out with uncommon charm, and an attractive feature being a curving double border sunk between a convex terrace and a clipped yew hedge.(Hussey CL 1941) The house was requisitioned as a Military hospital during the first world war. After the death of Mr Summers in 1926, a Colonel Innes became the tennant. In 1928 he employed Harold Horn as Head Gardener were he worked until 1933 with a team of four gardeners. During this period he kept diaries containing ‘Plans & Records of Froyle Place Gardens’ A photograph from this period shows the Melon House with melons that won prizes at local shows. (www.froyle.com)
A card posted in 1935 shows a view of the back of the house with ornately topiaried yew hedges beyond two ornamental lily ponds.
In 1949 the trustees of Lord Mayor Treloar Trust bought Froyle Place with eight acres of land to turn into a college for disabled boys. Three years later they added the Froyle Estate which included the Manor House and farm as well as Froyle House. Massive building works took place then and again in 1990 to provide classrooms and medical facilities. (Hurst 2008)
The site has been sold to developers (2012). However, before the School re-located, a huge amount of the grounds of the original manor and the home farm had been covered with classrooms, accommodation blocks, medical facilities and wheel chair ramps, but a number of features and aspects of the past were still in evidence. (OS Master map 2005) Entering via Froyle Place, the views to the south and east remain the same as those shown on the 1st edition OS map of 1870-71 with the ha-ha in the foreground and the parkland sloping gently downhill towards the River Wey. The structure of the formal planting behind the house was still visible with the stone planter at the centre. The sunken garden flanked by yew hedges remained, though the herbaceous borders have disappeared. To the east of this area, the school had developed a box parterre and a small pergola and elsewhere within the grounds, they had created grassed and planted areas in keeping with a school environment.
The large kitchen garden was partially built over, and the rest turned into car parking. The smaller kitchen garden, next to the Manor House; was down to grass with a polytunnel for the use of students and for bedding plants.
The developers plan to create an estate of housing with a community hall.
The site had been occupied for over 800 hundred years with the original manor, Froyle Place.. The development site influenced by wealthy owners. Became Treloars School, then sold to developers in 2012 when the kitchen garden walls, the ha-ha, sunken garden, brewery, stables and malthouses reflected the historic structure.
HGT Research: February 2010 updated 2013
OS 1:3500 Master map 2005 HCC
Hussey, C ‘An English Village; Froyle Hampshire Country Life Magazine Dec.19 1941
Caldicott, D Hampshire Nunneries Phillimore 1989
Hurst, J Treloar’s. One Hundred Years of Education Phillimore 2008