|HCC Site ID:||1192||Parish:|| Bursledon, Hamble-le-Rice
|Designations:||Employment site||Area:||c1.2 ha was 22ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||owners/use Commercial|
Old Postcard – Sydney Lodge c1908 (ebay)
Location and Site
To the west of Hamble-le-Rice, looking out onto Southampton Water and facing the oil refinery of Fawley.
John Sloane designed Sydney Lodge in the 18th century for Sir Joseph Sydney Yorke (the Earl of Hardwicke), having already worked on the family’s main residence, Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire. The house was financed by prize money earned during the French Wars. The grounds were mainly wood and park-like land in the 19th century (1st ed 25” OS map, 1869) and abutted those of Hamble Cliff House which also passed into a branch of the Yorke family from the mid-19th century until 1926. Sydney Lodge became tenanted and together with neighbouring Hamble Cliff House was purchased by British Marine later known as Folland Aircraft Limited in 1934/6, for the land and access to Southampton Water. The land became the site of a factory with slipway (British History online, p 469). The houses are both Grade II listed together with the stables of Hamble Cliff House and a WWII Observatory in the grounds of Sydney Lodge.
Sydney Lodge is now used as office and accommodation for visiting personnel. The former gardens are covered by large hangers and other factory workshops, with just a small formal garden behind the house.
The large old walled gardens of Hamble Cliff House are now part of the factory site, known to the staff as the secret gardens. The walls, glass houses, out-buildings and grounds once maintained by apprentices are according to personal contact still in good order (personal communication).
Designed in 18th century by John Soane for the Yorke family. Wood and parkland next to Hamble Cliff House, later also bought by the Yorke family. Sold to British Marine in 1934/36 now a factory site. Large walled garden with glasshouses from Hamble Cliff House remains.
Partial HGT research: 2012
Hampshire Record Office
Page, W Victoria County History