|HCC Site ID.||1757||Parish:||Gosport|
|Access:||Public Access||Ownership:||Gosport Borough Council|
Image – google map
The site probably dates back to the Saxon times when it served as a sheltered harbour for ships. This continued until 1800 when the area silted up.
Below the ground there are foundations of a once 24 metre high Seamark or Navigational Tower constructed in 1643 by the Lord High Admiral, the Earl of Warwick It was demolished in 1965.
The field was a National Children’s home playing field from 1888 until 1984 when Abbey Developments planned to build on part of the site. In 1997 the future of the site was under discussion.
HCC Urban Parks Survey 1997
Gosport Borough Council Local Plan 2011-2029 (GBC 1.4)
The plan states that Stokesmead Field is a high value open space due to its waterside location, is an important feature of the Anglesey Conservation Area and provides a setting for a number of important buildings in the adjoining Alverstoke Conservation Area. Click here for access to the plan.