|HCC Site ID:||1570||Parish:||Sparsholt|
|Designations:||CA, HE II||Area:||2.03 ha (5 acres)|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Sparsholt Manor is situated in the village of Sparsholt which lies on high ground to the north of Farley Mount Country Park. It is approximately four miles from Winchester. The Manor has long views from the garden to the south over farmland.
Sparsholt Manor is an early twentieth-century house of brick and tile-hung elevations set within approximately five acres of landscaped gardens and paddocks with extensive views across farmland to the south.
The house and gardens are typical of layouts designed in 1922-23 by Harry Inigo Triggs in partnership with firstly, William Unsworth and then his son Gerald, from their offices in Petersfield. Triggs’s obituary in the Architectural Review of 1923 notes that he was ‘working on a house at Sparsholt’ when he died from a recurrent illness in Sicily – his client for the new manor house was Samuel Bostock, a local dignitary and formerly the owner of Lainston House which is just down the lane on the road to Winchester.
The garden layout is characteristic of Triggs’s vernacular interpretations of Italian Renaissance and Moorish Spanish villa gardens that he had extensively visited in the 1890’s. The house, with a pair of matching garden loggias supported by barley-twist brickwork, faces south onto the main terrace of Yorkstone flag paving with associated flowerbeds. Two flights of stone steps lead down to the main lawn which is centrally dissected by a stone-edged rill fed from a dolphin head masque set into the terrace wall. The rill flows through a pair of dipping pools and finally culminates in a circular pool flanked by topiary Box mounds on the southern boundary.
To the east of the house are Triggs’s signature parterres – the remains of a Thuja enclosed Rose garden and the sunken garden with dry-stone Purbeck walling and a central rectangular Water-lily pool with a lead putto and dolphin fountain. Close by is the tennis lawn backed by good specimens of Fagus sylvatica ‘Atropurpurea’, Cedrus atlantica ‘Glauca’ and the ‘Cut-leaved Beech’ – Fagus sylvatica ‘ Asplenifolia’.
To the west of the house is the pergola walk of timber beams resting on intricate brick piers leading to the ogee-roofed summerhouse – a copy of the one in Triggs’s own garden at ‘Little Boarhunt, Liphook. Beyond the pergola lies the walled kitchen garden with surviving espalier apple trees and numerous original outbuildings including the coach-house and stable block with a spectacular weathervane.
Various areas of the gardens have undergone restoration work – the main terrace paving and walls, the sunk garden and the curving walls of the entrance drive have all been rebuilt and replanted in an appropriate Edwardian / Triggs style adapted from the many examples of his work to be found in: Jekyll, G. and Weaver, L. 1912, Gardens for Small Country Houses, Country Life, London.
A typical Inigo Triggs house and garden built in 1922–1923 well restored early 21st century. Sunken garden, lawns, terrace, pergola, summerhouse, rill and southerly views. Good specimen trees abound. The garden was given an English Heritage grade II listing in 2010.
Based on research by Stephen.J.White in 1999 – 2002.
Click here to visit Historic England site for this location.