|HCC Site ID:||1160||Parish:||South Warnborough|
|Designations:||CA – Manor and part of park; House LB II||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residence|
Image: Telegraph online 3/1/2015
In 1278 a license for a deer park was granted to Ela, Countess of Warwick. In 1601, Elizabeth I in his own house knighted Sir Richard White. An imposing Tudor mansion remained until early in the 18th century, parts of it were incorporated into the new building. During the middle of the 18the century it is most likely that Lady Londonderry oversaw the landscaping of the ‘Capability Brown’ style park with the planting of a lime avenue extending to a beech one; a ha-ha was constructed; a medieval ‘green mount’ formed a bastion SW corner, matched by another in the SE corner; in the extremity of this corner there was a brick and flint grotto in a copse. The 1871 first edition O.S. map shows the Manor house, church, and village forming an integral whole. By the house there were formal gardens, well laid out walled garden with greenhouses, orchard, shrub and tree planting around the house, and a pathway to the church. The park of 60 acres was bounded by 2 roads, which met at the village, the B3349 on the western side, and Froyle Lane, a minor road to Sutton Common in the east. If a line were drawn, at a point approximately 1.25 miles from the centre of the village, between the roads, this formed the southern boundary. At the time of the first sale in 1912 the lawns were described as having ‘Flower Borders, Rose Pergolas, and Shrubbery Walks’. The ha-ha gave an uninterrupted view of the park, with its avenues of lime and beech.
The manor, Grade II listed, church and the upper part of the park are now within the conservation area. Dwellings have been built in the walled garden. On the recent maps there are remnants of the lime and beech avenues. There is still a park to the south east of the house.
Ancient and historic site former deer park developed as landscape park in the 18th century, with grotto, mounts, avenue, and ha ha. In the 19th century there were walled garden, orchards, formal gardens, terraces, tree and shrubberies. The site represents the development of a manorial park and landscape over 1000 years and contributes to the distinct character of the local area and the conservation area.
HGT Research: April 2000