|HCC Site ID:||1898||Parish:||Winchester|
|Designations:||CA, House, wall, piers & gates all LB II||Area:||Small|
|Access:||Public Access (opening hours)||Ownership:|| Regimental Museum
/Hampshire County Council
Location and Site
Serles House is sited close to Peninsula Barracks in Winchester and accessed from Southgate Street.
Historic Development and Current Description
Serle’s House was built about 1740 for William Sheldon and in 1881 passed to the Third Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment. After World War II the area was re-designed as a Garden of Remembrance, in 1954, the principal architect being Colonel F R Sawyer. It houses the main Royal Hampshire Regiment Memorial, which takes the form of a square plinth on which all the theatres of war the Regiment has taken part in are recorded. In the centre is a flagpole form which the regimental flag flies when the museum is open.
The Memorial garden was planted with rose trees from the battlefield of Minden and a tree from the Ploegsteert, places memorable in the history of the regiment. Various plants have been donated by those who have served in the Regiment and their relatives.
There are modern red brick walls with stone coping and piers, moulded caps and wrought iron gates with an overthrow. These all have an 18th century appearance to match the house. Hampshire County Council bought Serles House in 2001 which now houses the Regimental Museum. It was reported that a grant had been acquired in 2008 to restore the gardens of the House.
The garden is open to the public and many passers by come in to admire and smell the beautiful display of roses.
Early C18 house; World War II garden of remembrance (roses). Now also Regimental Museum.
Information: December 2002 updated 2008