|HCC Site ID.||1765||Parish:||Hill Head|
|Access:||Public Access||Ownership:||Fareham Borough Council|
Location & Site
Seafield Park lies south of Stubbington in a low-lying flat coastal plain, bordered on the north, east and west sides by housing estates and separated from the sea in the south by a coastal road. The only access is from the north through the housing estate, which was originally used for the armed forces, via Illustrious Road.
There is an area to the east which is a wildlife resource for linnets, bush crickets and long-winged coneheads (www.fieldsintrust.org).
Seafield Park was the name of a large Victorian mansion built in 1872 by Sir Henry Sykes on 83 acres of land at Hill Head. In 1888 the house & gardens were sold to Rev. R W Pain who registered it as a preparatory school in 1890.
At the outbreak of WWII the house was requisitioned by the Fleet Air Arm and in 1948 the house was destroyed by fire. (www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newells_Preparatory_School)
Between 1955 and 1991 Seafield Park was home to the RN Survival Equipment School. (www.fieldsintrust.org)
Now it is part of the Fields in Trust scheme, which was previously the National Playing Fields Association established in 1925 by King George V. New and improved changing room facilities opened in 2008 which included the pitches, pavilion and car -parking. (www.fieldsintrust.org)
A flat coastal field of 3 hectares with views of the sea to the south through typical coastal scrub. A Conservation area lies to the east and some mature trees to the west.
Access is in the north through a housing estate. The field has a metal gate and car-parking for 60 cars, a small changing pavilion with disabled facilities and a children’s play area. There is room for two full-size football pitches.
HGT Research: 1996/7 updated May 2016
A simple field, rather hidden from the casual visitor, used by many local schools and clubs for football practice and matches.
Map Ordnance Survey Explorer 1:25 scale 2007
Site visit 27.05.2016