|HCC Site ID:||1414||Parish:||Fyfield|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||large|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple private|
Location and Site
Redenham House is situated just north of Appleshaw and east of the A342 Andover to Devizes.
Over the years some of the land that is now Redenham estate has been held variously as part of other estates, making it difficult to establish its history exactly. A sales indenture of 1701 establishes that there was a house, buildings, gardens, meadows etc, although the precise position of the house is unknown. Then in 1784, Henry White, brother of Gilbert White of Selbourne, recorded dining at Redenham and noted that a new house was under construction. This classical Georgian house is now listed Grade II, and the estate covers approximately 400 hectares of which 2.5 hectares are garden, 24 hectares parkland, 36.5 hectares woodland and the remainder farmland.
The parkland of the Redenham estate has been designated by Hampshire County Council Environmental Group as having seven Sites of importance for Nature Conservation, comprising ancient and semi-natural woodland; these are managed for commercial forestry, landscaping and rearing game. To the west of the house is a curving bank that may have been a formal boundary between the parkland and the fields and copses to the north. An aerial photo of the 1970s reveals a ditch which replaced an iron fence between the house and park.
In front of the house is a simple lawned area separated from the parkland by a modern wooden fence and, containing until the 1920s, a circular pond, which is now a sunken area where a large bamboo grows.
The gardens on the north and east sides of the house were mainly relaid in the 1960s for Mr Kidston, by Lady Clark, a garden designer and the current owner, keeping elements of earlier features. An aerial photograph of 1944 shows the extent of an old kitchen garden with a flint wall and its associated buildings. The OS 2nd edition 25” map indicates a second, higher, kitchen garden with an orchard and range of buildings, this was turned into a paddock. The rest of the garden is divided into separate areas which include a rose garden, a woodland garden, a herbaceous border garden and a herb garden. A swimming pool garden was also made for Mr Kidston, it is bounded by an old curved cob wall which was originally thatched, and the necessary machinery is housed in a former potting shed. A lime avenue, planted in the 1960s, leads to a tennis court and croquet lawn.
To the west of the mansion is the 16th century Home Farm, also Listed Grade II, and its complex of farm building, the stables were re-built in 1913. Barns built in the 1970s for racehorse breeding have been converted into business units.
Late 18th century house in parkland now designated as important for nature conservancy by Hampshire County Council. New gardens designed by Lady Clark for the owner in the 1960sa; also a 1960s lime avenue. Old curved cob wall and old kitchen garden. Business units in 1970s barns.
HGT Research: 2001 and 2006