|HCC Site ID:||1468||Parish:||Penton Grafton|
|Designations:||House LBII*, SINC||Area:||47 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple private|
Location and Site
Rambridge House is north east of Andover, off the A342, bounded on the north by extensive woodland copse.
A well-wooded ancient site, Ramridge was originally a religious house granted by William the Conqueror to the Abbey of Grestayn in Normandy. In 1442 it was used by Wiliam de la Pole and his wife Alice Chaucer, granddaughter and heir of Geofrey Chaucer, to endow their new foundation God’s House at Ewelme. The site of Weyhill fair, one of the largest in England, was close by and may have been in the appurtenance of the manor of Ramridge. Daniel Defoe in his travels of 1722 made a special detour to visit the fair, and it was later used by Thomas Hardy as the setting for The Mayor of Casterbridge, renamed Weydon Priors.
The present three storey red-brick house was built around 1740 and remodeled in the nineteenth century to include additions at either side and a Bath stone Ionic porch at the front entrance to the north. At the entrance to the park are two identical lodges, one nineteenth century and the other a twentieth century copy. The house has been split into flats and offices and lodges are also in private ownership.
An estate map of 1740 shows rides cut through the woodland to the north of the house. These are still visible on a current aerial photograph as is much of the planting in the park including two lines of boundary trees to the south and west. The kitchen garden which first appears on the 1740 map survives intact but without its formal planting.
Now flats and offices.
Ramridge originally a religious house. Present 3 storey red-brick house built c1740 remodeled in 19th century. One 19th century lodge and one 20th century copy. 1740 rides through park as well as original planting are visible on current aerial photograph, existing kitchen garden.
HGT Research: 2007