|HCC Site ID:||1259||Parish:||Preston Candover|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
The name Preston Candover derives from the old English word prestecandevere meaning ‘Priests of Candover’. Candover itself derives from the earlier ‘caniodubri’ meaning beautiful or clear waters, referring to the stream running along the valley floor.
In Preston Candover at the time of the Domesday Survey there were six separate estates. A manor by the name of Preston Candover first appears in the reign of Edward III and was held by the Hoyvilles. In 1368 John de Hoyville granted the manor to William de Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester. In the reign of Richard II the bishop granted it to Thomas Warenner and it descended to the Sandys family until the late sixteenth century or early seventeenth century. In 1636 it was sold to George Long, who lived in London during the Civil War and assisted the Parliament with money. While in London his house and land in Preston Candover was laid waste.
In 1739, Preston Candover manor was brought to William Guidott by his wife Patience, daughter of John Soper. Guidott was MP for Andover for seven parliaments between 1708 and 1727, and in the mid 1750s built Preston Candover House. The common fields of Preston and Nutley were eventually enclosed and reorganised under the provisions of an Act of Parliament of 1820. The grade 11 Georgian house lies close to the ? road ? miles ??? from Basingstoke.
In 1887 the Preston House Estate was acquired by Henry John Hope, On his death in 1909, the part of the estate was sold. Preston House itself was let and Mrs Hope built Preston Grange to the south of the village. The years between the wars saw several changes amongst the owners of Preston House. The most significant of these was Colonel Miles Courage, a director of Courage and Co., who bought the estate in 1932 and remained there till his death in 1961.
During the 1960s the property was owned by Sir Peter Cadbury and boasted a mile-long airstrip and hangars for five aircraft. During this period the area in front of the house was opened up and most specimen trees felled. Trees remaining include a few copper beeches a plane and cut-leaved beech. Eventually, the house was sold to Sir John (now Lord) Sainsbury who embarked on a major plan of landscape improvement. During this time a new lake has been excavated and stocked with trout, and the drastically cut yew hedge at the front allowed to re-establish.
In 2000, Robert Adam Architects completed a ‘millennium’ garden ‘temple’ incorporating new technology with classical designs to reflect the architecture of the Georgian house.
Features of the garden now include:
. a long grass terrace at the E, front edged with hedges and ornamental flower beds
. steps leading down to extensive lawns between the house and the road with tree planting to create an avenue leading to a shrubbery inside the wall and hedge.
. informal paths leading to a large pond to the north of the central lawns. A bridge from the outer footpath leads onto an island.
. Further north the path arrives at a south facing pavilion overlooking the swimming pool which is enclosed by informal shrubbery and trees.
. Beyond the pool is a tennis court set in formal plantations of trees
. To the south west of the house is a small herb or knot garden surrounded by hedges.
To the north west the new Millenium Temple stands isolated in the parkland, although other work appears to be in progress (from recent aerial photograph)
Preston House stands unseen behind a high brick wall at the northern end of Preston Candover village. The two-storey building dates from 1745, although it has since been altered. It is particularly visible from East Park. The footprint of house, park, gardens and home farm has changed little since the 1840 Tithe Map, although the walled kitchen garden located on the other side of the B3046 has now been developed as private house plots.
The parkland extends east across the B3046 into East Park which is elevated and affords views across to the house and parkland beyond. The gardens are extensive and the diminished legacy of mature native and ornamental trees is being restored with a new design and major new plantiing.
Significance: Preston House was built in 1720 with its parkland extended to the west and across the road to east park. Home farm and associated buildings form an important collection of buildings defining the northern end of the village, and lie within the Conservation Area of Preston Candover.
Preston House is associated with:
. William Guidott MP for Andover in the early 18th century.
. Colonel Miles Courage, a director of Courage and Co. Brewers
. Sir Peter Cadbury
. Lord John Sainsbury of Preston Candover – significant patron of the arts including the National Gallery and the Royal Opera Company
Landscape Planning Status:
Preston Candover Conservation Area
Area of Archeological Potential
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: September 2009