|HCC Site ID:||1526||Parish:||Exton|
|Designations:||SDNP, SMR, House LB II||Area:||Large|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Multiple private|
Location and Site
Preshaw House is situated on Preshaw Down north west of Corhampton and west of Warnford in the Upper Meon Valley. It is within the small hamlet of Preshaw which is surrounded by 19th century parkland and on higher ground has views to the coast. It is within the South Downs National Park.
In 1542 the Manor was granted to Sir William Paulet after the suppression of Hyde Abbey. When John Long bought it in 1720, the house had three gables and was flint faced. Two extra gables were added, matching the originals but without flint facing. Between 1810 and 1826 areas of parkland were created with clumps, copses, and by 1870 an avenue of beech trees had been planted lining the main access road to the house from the north.In the early 19th century a set of rooms designed by Nash was added, doubling the width of the house. The descendents of John Long sold the Manor in 1898, and after changing hands again in 1901; a further extension above the Nash rooms was built in 1910. In 1918 the Manor became the seat of the Baronetcy of Upham. The house was sold to developers for conversion into eight apartments in 1986. The farm and parkland surrounding the house remain in the ownership of the Pelly family.
The avenue and some parkland trees remain, although there was a great deal of damage in the late 1980s storms. Roads encircle a large proportion of the parkland, but as it is in a valley it remains well hidden. On a clear day the southern aspect has views of the Isle of Wight. Most of the original gardens on the south front of the house have reverted to farmland, leaving the remaining area divided into 4 units adjoining the ground floor apartments. The surrounding out buildings have been converted to housing, and with the chapel (built in 1864), the site retains the feel of a self-contained community. Trees were planted for the Millennium.
Early 18th century Manor house (LB II); surrounded by early 19th century parkland; retains much of its earlier character, house enlarged by Nash early 19th century; is now apartments with outbuildings converted to housing. The parkland is farmed; clumps of trees, copses and the beech avenue remain. The site retains the feel of a self-contained community.
HGT Research: August 2002
Click here to visit Parks and Gardens site for this location
HGT Research: 2004
Borthwyck and Chandler The Manor of Preshaw, a Survey of Archeology and History 1995 41/52/2. Vol 2 and appendices
Page, W Victoria County History Vol 3 1911
Hurst, J Corhampton and Exton 1980
Estate map held by the Pelley family
Taylor, 1759 Old-Hampshire mapped
OS map 1st ed 6″ 1871-72 Hampshire County Council (HCC)
OS map 2nd ed 25″ 1896 HCC
Colour Raster map 2002 HCC
Kellys Directory 1895
Sales details 1910 27M
Sales details 1982 38M82/15