|HCC Site ID:||1377||Parish:||Newton Valence|
|Designations:||SDNP, SINC, House LB II||Area:||28 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and site
Pelham Place is to the west of the A32, Fareham to Alton road, in woodland Newton Common. It is within the South Downs National Park.
Pelham Place came into being when the land in Newton Valence was bought by Admiral Dumaresq in 1782 and a new house was built upon it. He then proceeded to create a park and gardens befitting the Georgian house. His nephew and inheritor, William Dumaresq, acted similarly by remodelling the house in the Gothic style and restocking the park and gardens. In this respect the Dumaresqs were typical of the gentlemen of their time who were creating country estates. What is interesting about this estate is that the orders to their nurseryman for trees and shrubs have been preserved. Thus it is possible to discover not only the kinds of trees that were most commonly planted in parks at that time but also the more unusual such as the Tulip tree at Pelham, ordered in 1831 and still alive today. William Dumaresq in particular took a personal interest in horticulture and took note of new ideas such as the melon frame. By 1859 the phrase ’fine wooded pleasure grounds’(Kelly’s Directory 1859) would seem an apt description of the park.
Little changed after this time until the estate was sold by the original family in 1924. Thence it passed through the hands of seven owners in sixty-five years, nearly all of whom adapted the estate to their particular needs and interests. Continuity was lost and the estate was diminished by the sale of the Lodge, the Bungalow and the Cottage.
In 1989 the present owners, Damon and Sandra de Laszlo, bought the estate.. By this time both house and grounds were in need of restoration and repair. The new owners have instituted a thorough-going programme, not only of restoration but also of innovation. The restocking of the park and woodland is now visible. Other features are entirely new such as a woodland sculpture walk, an enclosed rose garden, an orangery and a helter-skelter. With these imaginative developments Pelham Place has now entered upon a new and stimulating phase in its history.
A Georgian house and parkland late 18th century; further development early 19th century but little changed thereafter. 20th century saw lack of continuity with 7 changes of ownership. Since 1989 a continuing programme to restore the house and grounds and introduce new features.
HGT Research: January 2008