|HCC Site ID:||1545||Parish:||Itchen Stoke|
|Designations:||SDNP, SINC, SMR||Area:||Medium|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Ovington House is in the Upper Itchen Valley, five miles north east of Winchester off the A31 Winchester to New Alresford road. The River Itchen is to the north of the house.
The house was originally built in an existing park at the end of the 18th century by James Standerwick. His daughter, Elizabeth, inherited and married Sir Thomas Richard Swynnerton Dyer. After his death Elizabeth married Baron von Zandt of Wurzburg. At this time there were about 56.6 ha (140 acres) in the Ovington Park estate with considerable wooded area, parkland and three lodges. Due to lack of heirs the property changed hands several times before being sold in 1910 to Harvey Hoare of Hoare’s Bank. It is believed that he carried out substantial redesign of the gardens.
The Wessex Series 1923 states the mansion house was practically rebuilt together with the transformation of the surrounding lawns and grounds. A small part of the Elizabethan farmhouse on the site is believed to have been uncovered in the hall during rebuilding. A new sunk lawn on the south side was created and the walled-in kitchen garden is described as being flanked by yew hedges and grass walks lined with rose and apple trees, and beyond rose pergolas. The grounds are referred to as extending to 500 acres (202 ha) but this is the whole estate, including the village.
The estate, was sold in separate lots in 1975, including the main house and several cottages in the village. The grounds are now much reduced and bounded by high walls and hedges. The circular drive has gone and the lodge to the south east is a separate dwelling.
Eighteenth century brick-built house in a large landscape park extended in 1813. The house and gardens were re-designed in the 1920s by Arthur H Hoare and the estate split up in 1975.
HGT Research: November 2001