|HCC Site ID.||1431||Parish:||West Tytherley|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and site
The parish of West Tytherley is 7 miles S.W. of Stockbridge. The Old Rectory faces west and lies on a south-facing hill at the north western edge of West Tytherley village. The parish church is located at the southern end of the village. While access from the Rectory was via two footpaths, now only the eastern footpath survives. The soil is clay upon a substratum of chalk.
The Old Rectory is a grade II listed building. The original Rectory was rebuilt in 1780 as the house was considered “very ruinous and decayed”. In 1838, the tithe map describes a parsonage house, shrubbery, meadow and pasture. The OS map of 1871, shows a walled garden with a potting shed, two footpaths leading from the village to the house with deciduous and conifer trees between them. To create the flat croquet lawn, in about 1909, the meadow and pastureland on the southern side of the house were levelled and cleared of some trees, leaving a rock bank between the house and the croquet lawn. About the same time, the Rectory had been extended and included a glass lean-to conservatory. Also, greenhouses were added to the potting shed in the walled garden. When the house was sold as a private residence in 1921, to Mr Jorgenson, development of a garden began. By 1962, the property was in the ownership of Mr Beale, when it was described as a garden of “great charm both in general and plantsmanship level”. In addition to the walled garden, it included two tennis courts, and paddocks. From 1992, the new owner, Mr C Vincent, employed landscape architects to redesign and extend the garden. The entrance to the property was changed providing an approach from north of the walled garden, with the old fountain in the forecourt; and was landscaped; to include a sunken garden, rose pergola, lakes with bridges and cascades, a swimming pool and pool house, and a tennis court with a pavilion.
The current owner is updating the planting with indigenous trees, as required, and carrying out renovations as necessary. This has included: covering up part of the old western footpath nearer the house; reducing the size of parts of the herbaceous borders, particularly near the croquet lawn; removing bamboo that edged the lakes, giving it a more open appearance. In the walled garden: a new greenhouse has replaced the old one; some of its paths have been renovated; old espaliered apple trees have been pruned and some vegetables planted, and a games room and swimming pool are now situated at the eastern end. On the east side of the house: an orangery has been added as an extension to the kitchen; a gateway and new brick wall, built with square flint centre decoration, that now provides privacy from the old entrance and the nearby cottage. Emitting from the wall is a small fountain and a parallel low wall built to provide a rill. From this side of the house, old trees have been lost, providing a view to the fields on the adjacent hillside.
Summary and Significance
A late C18 Rectory garden that still includes a croquet lawn from the 1920s and a walled garden of similar age to the house. It became a plantsman’s garden in the mid-late C20 and in the last 25 years a complete redesign by landscape architects have been made to the entrance to the property, and the garden has been transformed to include lakes and recreational facilities.
The redesigned old rectory garden is in keeping with grade II C18 country house.
HGT Research: May 2019
• HRO 21M65/419F/1 Winchester Diocese, West Tytherley Faculty Papers, Taking down the parsonage barn, 1780
• Tithe Map and Apportionment 1837, The Genealogist, https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/search/advanced/landowner/tithe-records/?fn=&fn_ph=ph&sn=bouverie&sn_ph=ph&county=Hampshire&parish%5B%5D=West+Tytherley&plan_no=47&organisation=&a=Search. 18.3.19
• Allen Paterson, The Gardens of Britain No. 2, Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. HRO 712.6, 1978
• Landscape Statement from Randle Siddeley Associates to Test Valley Borough Council. 3 Jan 1997 Hampshire Gardens Trust files – West Tytherley Parish.
• HRO 200A07/293 Sales Particulars of The Old Rectory and Home Farm stud. Oct 2002.