You are here Home  > Private Parks & Gardens >  Oakhurst
Item image
HCC Site ID: 1224 Parish: East Woodhay
Designations: AONB, LB Grade II Area:
Access: No Public Access Ownership: Stud Farm, Private

Location and Site

At the time of the Domesday Survey the manor of East Woodhay was the property of the See of Winchester and confirmed by Edward I in 1284. In 1428, Thomas Byflete, John Herries, John Sterregrave and Edmund Lynche, Nicholas Jurdan and John atte Sele, each held a separate part of the parish.

Oakhurst lies less than half a mile south of Ball Hill on the East Woodhay to Ball Hill road. No house was present on the East Woodhay Tithe Map of 1837, (although Thomas Medley Lord was named as the Lord of the Manor in Pigot of 1830) and there is no record of a resident at Oakhurst in the 1849 Post Office directory. It is therefore concluded that the new house was constructed some time after. By 1873, a substantial house is shown on the OS map, with the drive approaching the house from the north.

The house and its park are mid – late Victorian built on grazing land sloping gently down to one of the many streams flowing north into the Enborne. An ancient pond survives on the estate – possibly a relic of a medieval fish pond. Oakhurst is located on a southwest facing grass terrace, the park and lake lie to the south. The northern section of the site is a walled garden enclosed by the high boundary wall to the road. This is a 10 ft high wall – its lower section of flint (approx. 5ft) with brick piers and coping, with a later brick extension above. It is a significant feature of the streetscape. Gardens lie in a narrow strip behind the wall along the road, and around the house with tree planting along the drive. Later maps (from 1930s) show the drive connecting Oakhurst and Woolton House Farm to the south.

The house is approached from the road along a mature tree and shrub lined drive into a large courtyard. The drive also gives access to a recently constructed stable block to the east. (approval dated 2006) the rear walls of which bound the garden. The present use is a Stud Farm


The Mansion overlooks the park forms a setting to this mid 19th century house.


Continuity is established in the retention of the ancient pond and drainage system that is so important in this landscape

Landscape Planning Status :

TPO etc No

Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane:November 2009

Our address

East Woodhay No Public Access Click for Disclaimer & copyright
51.36192040184, -1.4008426666259766

Comments are closed.