|HCC Site ID:||1513||Parish:||Crawley|
Image:Jacob’s Contemporary Biographies, Hampshire at the Opening of the 20th Century from the Local Studies Library, Winchester, 2019 now at Hampshire Record Office
Location and Site
Northwood Park lies to the west of Littleton with Northwood Park Farm on its eastern boundary, Ball Down Farm to its southern boundary and the village of Sparshott is to the south west. It is approximately three miles north west of Winchester in a farming area.
An area with trees called Northwood appears on the Taylor map of 1759, part of the common wood of Crawley which had been enclosed by the 16-17th centuries. The land was leased to the Church wardens/overseers of the poor. In 1787 the Bishop granted the land for farming to Sir Willoughby Alton, including the Pasture called the Park under the Northwood.
The Tithe map of 1837 also shows a wood but not a park. The first edition 25” OS map (1871) and the six inch OS map (1879) show a small house, named as Northwood House, with a wood or orchard to the south. Two chalk pits lie to the north and fields, probably arable, lie to the north and west.
In 1872 the land was bought off the yeoman family of Fifield by Philip Vanderbyl, a London merchant and by 1884 a much larger house, now called Northwood Park, has been built as shown on the second edition 25” OS map (1896). The wood or orchard to the south has disappeared, as have the fields. To the west and south there is a mix of deciduous and conifer trees and to the east and south there is open land. South of this area is clear land which might have been pasture. Further west lies Stud Cottage, possibly stables and several glasshouses. The land to the south of the third edition OS 25” map (1910) shows a crescent shaped drive, paths and more tree planting to the south east of the building. The house has been enlarged still further.
In the 1920s the house became Claymore School, described as a large public school in about 101 ha (250 acres) of Northwood Park. The fourth edition OS map (1932-38) names the school. The garden areas remain and the ‘pasture’ area is referred to as ‘playing fields’. There was also a farm of 125 acres (50.6 ha) attached to the estate.
Stud Cottage is still there but the large house has been demolished. The wooded and pasture landscape remains, with some fine trees.
A common wood of Crawley since the 17th century; small late 19th century house enlarged; became Claymore school in 1920s; demolished but wooded and pasture landscapes remain
Information: April 2003
Pledge, F W Crawley 1907 pp 92,123,189
Grass N S B Economic Social History of an English Village, Crawley Ad909-1928 Cambridge Univ Press 1930
Crawley Tithe map and award 1837
OS map 6″ 1st ed 1871
OS map 6″ 2nd ed 1896