|HCC Site ID:||1223||Parish:||East Woodhay|
|Designations:||CA, AONB, SINC||Area:||35 acres|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private/Residential|
Location and site
Northenby House lies at the southern edge of North End, one of the small hamlets of East Woodhay, located at the northern edge of the Basingstoke & Deane borough, some 5 miles south of Newbury.
During the late 9th century, the area had royal connections, when King Alfred’s daughters Ethelfled and Elthrith held land in the Cleres (Highclere, Kingsclere and Burghclere). Remains of ridge and furrow cultivation (rare in Hampshire) are recorded at Northenby and at Hedge End (the latter now ploughed out). The area around Woodhay and the Cleres was part of a vast royal hunting forest(Chute Forest). The fact that the area was a hunting park probably accounts for the pattern of settlement, with small hamlets set in forest clearings. In the early 13th Century the Bishop of Winchester was active in the enclosure of land as the population at Burghclere, Highclere and Woodhay increased. By the end of the 19h century the manor – leased to the Earl of Carnarvon in 1789 – was broken up and individual estates sold to private individuals. In 1881 the property was offered for sale, described as suitable for enlargement or rebuilding.
Northenby House, a brick and tile hung Victorian house, lies at the south of North End hamlet. It is set back from the road, in aproximately 35 acres of parkland and gardens. The main entrance and boundary planting, are important features of the approaches to the hamlet and the Conservation Area. Access is from the street along a drive that returns south, parallel to the main road to serve the stable yard and outbuildings that lie between the road and the gardens. The main drive approaches the front of the house through informal woodland via a curving driveway onto a paved terrace.
The gardens lie between the house and the yard, consisting of a series of hedged compartments that include a:
vegetable garden with glasshouses
recitlinear garden with four quadrants and central circular feature leading to a circular garden and the tennis court beyond
Formal hedged and fenced drives lead from the stable yard into a number of paddocks south of the gardens. The parkland lying in front of the house affords extensive views to the east across two fishponds that are enclosed by the ancient woodlands of Higg’s Copse and Knapp Leaze.
In 1992, North End was designated a Conservation Area by the Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council in recognition of the special architectural and historic interest of the hamlet.
Northenby lies at the southern end of North End Conservation area. A property at this location is present on Taylors map of 1759, and the Tithe map of 1837. The new mansion was built during the late 19th century, and the parkland developed as a setting to the building. Fragments of the ancient woodland are retained within and to the south eastern boundary of the estate.
The park is important as a feature of the Conservation area, retaining elements of a 19th century landscape – open parkland, and mature woodland trees, with the main phase of development laid out after 1840.
Landscape Planning Status :
NORTH END CONSERVATION AREA
AREA OF ARCHAEOLGICAL POTENTIAL
TPO etc No
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane