|HCC Site ID:||1551||Parish:||Micheldever|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||3.25 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Images: Jackson-Stops Sales Catalogue
Location and Site
Northbrook House is situated to the north of Micheldever and the west of the A33 in the Dever Valley approximately midway between Winchester and Basingstoke. The area has been traditionally a farming community, although the number of people working in this industry has greatly reduced over the years.
The name refers to the area which is ‘north of the river (Dever)’, there also being a Southbrook. Standing 200 yds back from the road and approached through an avenue of beech trees, the house was built in 1805 on the site of an earlier building, Sheep House Farm. The Grade II listed Georgian house had 2 single-storey wings added in Edwardian times. One wing housed the billiard room and one a drawing room.
Between the two World Wars, the house was owned by Mr Phillipson and at its sale around 1930, the estate consisted of an entrance lodge, a detached cottage in the village and a chauffeur’s flat. The grounds covered some c16.5 ha (41 acres) and the ‘pleasure grounds’ were well timbered with old forest trees and conifers, with lawns, flowers beds and herbaceous borders, a fruit and flower garden and a partly walled kitchen garden.
During World War II and through to the 1950s, the house was run as a pre-prep school by Miss Butler. The next owner, Mr Gordon, returned it to a private house and the Gordons ran a small market garden selling strawberries, lettuce and flowers. From 1968 to the late 1990s it was owned and lived in by Nevil Wilson and his family. During this time, the substantial servant’s wing at the back of the house was taken down although it remains a 7-bedroom dwelling.
There are 3.25 ha (8 acres) of garden, kitchen garden, lawns and woodland/spinney. In particular, the spinney trees protect the grounds from the southwest. Across the drive there is a large expanse of open lawn sloping down to a cherry tree lined avenue leading to the parkland which is to the south and west. There are two paddocks and about 12 ha (30 acres) are let for grazing. . An area of formal garden lies to the east of the house, sheltered on two sides by a high, old cob wall with coping tiles which was re-built. To the north there is an extensive vegetable garden, a further high brick wall and further to the east, an orchard. To the north of the property there is a section of aout 40 acres of arable land, purchased by previous owners of Northwood House upon which is a ‘clawback’ covenant if permission for development is obtained.
Built in 1805 on the site of a farm; 3¼ ha (8 acres) of garden, kitchen garden, woodland and spinney with a further c28 ha (70 acres) of parkland and pasture. Has been a pre-prep school and later used as a small market garden. Retains 2 sides of a walled garden and has an old, renovated chalk wall.
Information: March 2003 updated 2020
From a previous owner, Mr N Wilson:
Sales particulars 1999
Newspaper cuttings with 1870 photos
Sales particular undated but probably 1930
Plan of the site from deeds, accompanying 1967 sale to Mr Wilson