|HCC Site ID:||1821||Parish:||Kings Worthy|
|Access:||Historic site||Ownership:||Individual Private|
Site of house and garden now built on
A substantial house with formal gardens and surrounding meadow or parkland is shown on the 1st ed OS map 1869. In early 1870s Acheson and Mary Gray moved in to be near her mother who was then widowed and living at nearby Northleigh. The land abutted the grounds of Kings Worthy House. By the 2nd ed, 1890, Morton House has acquired some of the ground lying to the north east of Kings Worthy House and has a shared wall with green houses on either side as well as acquiring land stretching to Hinton House. When Mary’s mother died in 1885 there was little incentive to stay in the area and the house was put up for sale. Sales details of 1886 describe a yellow brick house under a slate roof with stabling surrounded by a walled courtyard. The grounds extended to 14 ½ acres and had room for a coachman’s cottage on the boundary close to Hinton House and a gardener’s lodge at the gate from Church lane. The house did not appear to have sold and the census for 1901 shows Morton House to be uninhabited. By 1910, the Hodgson family was living at Morton House. It later became a home for the elderly and acquired an institutional appearance.
It was finally demolished in the 1990s and a small estate known as Hinton Fields built on its site. Parts of the wall between the grounds of Morton House and Kings Worthy House were retained and traces of the adjoining green houses can be seen on the wall of one of the back gardens. The Coachman’s Cottage area is incorporated into an Adult Learning Centre. Some yews remain with other old trees in a small communal landscaped space of the housing development.
A substantial villa house in the 19th century eventually covering 14 ½ acres. Demolished in the 1990s for a housing estate; some old walls and trees remain.
Information from Worthy Local History Group and maps 2004