|HCC Site ID:||1676||Parish:||(Old) South Hayling|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||over 1 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residence|
Location and site
Manor House is in the southern half of the island and just south of the major inlet from the Emsworth Channel. It is to the west of the main A 3023 Havant Road and north of Manor Road that provides access. It is mainly surrounded by farmland.
Edward, Duke of Norfolk, built the Manor House in 1777, on the site of a much earlier building, a grange or convent, originally 14th century, rebuilt in 16th century after flooding. The timbered tithe barn standing on a low brick and stone wall (140 feet by 40 feet/42m by 12m) at the rear of the Manor House is thought to be part of the old grange. The entire South Hayling Manor, (shown in Domesday as the largest of the four Hayling Island manors) of several thousand acres including 666 acres(269ha) of Manor Farm, Sinah Farm 190 acres (77ha), South Common, various royalties, tithes, ferry rights and mud rights, was sold to William Padwick the Younger in 1825. North and west of the house is a moat. In the grounds is an 11th century dovecote constructed from salvaged stone, including part of a Norman arch and piscina from a church altar, divided crosswise into three with nests for several hundred doves. The ancient stone well, the oldest on the Island, is lined with fine cut granite and basalt boulders, believed to be from coastal drift ice, 75,000 years ago.
The house is on two storeys with refurbished attics in the gable ends. It has grey headers with red brick window dressings and a tiled roof renewed in 1986. The accommodation includes drawing room, library with Padwick’s mahogony shelving, kitchen, scullery and cellars. The grounds are laid out with paddock, orchard, stables, storerooms, gardens, gravelled paths, kitchen garden, fruit trees and the lake. Sarson stones are exposed in the garden. Still remaining are oak trees, flint walls, railings, the dovecote with nesting holes, well, the moat, which is partly destroyed, and the barn. The footings of the barn are said to be 14th century, which may have influenced the first surveyors who labelled it ‘Site of Priory’, but the exact location of the priory is in dispute. Manor Farm has been relocated from near the barn as shown on the 1910 OS map to the north side of the moat. The pound site is near the south east boundary corner.
18th century Manor House and gardens of great historical and architectural importance with many interesting original features that pre-date the house.
HGT Research: Feb 2001