|HCC Site ID:||1322||Parish:||Bramshott & Liphook|
|Designations:||House LB II, SINC||Area:||4.05ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:|| Multiple private dwellings in
10 acres private grounds
Location and site
Ludshott Manor lies to the north of the A3, Portsmouth Road, NE of Bramshott and between the B3004 and B3002 (Grayshott Road). There are magnificent views to the South Downs from the grounds.
The manor of Ludshott was in existence in the 11th century. An ancient manor house is believed to have stood on the site of the present house and was known as Ludshott Place. The manor of Ludshott was acquired in 1638 by Andrew Wall who chose to live in Fir Grove, a house in the valley of the River Wey, and Ludshott Place was demoted to the status of a farmhouse. In 1816 the manor came into the possession of Sir Thomas Miller, he let both Fir Grove and Ludshott Place to tenants, who farmed the lands that went with them.
In 1825 Sir James Macdonald bought the manor from Sir Thomas Miller and built a house suitable for his status as a politician, on the site of the old Ludshott Place, he named it Woolmer Lodge. The designer was P F Robinson who also built the two lodges in the Picturesque style. When Sir James died in 1832, Woolmer Lodge was inherited by his son, Sir Archibald Keppel, a minor. By 1846 the pleasure grounds had been laid out, enclosed within a boundary and surrounded by parkland. Features and paths seen on maps of 1870 are still recognisable today, such as the oval lawn, the garden clump and the Azalea Dell. Between 1870 and 1910 a Secret Garden was created within the wooded area, a path led to it from the lawn with an entrancce through a small gate. There was also a Fernery in the woodland area. Towards the end of his life Sir Archibald Keppel Macdonald left the running of the estate to his son Sir Archibald John Macdonald, neither of them were very successful and in 1906 Sir Archibald John had to sell parts of the estate to pay off his debts.
Woolmer Lodge and the remaining parts of the estate were bought by William Litton in 1910, he lived there with his family until 1951. During this time some alterations and additions were made to the house, but the overall layout of the grounds was hardly changed. A year later the house, park and farm were bought by Kenneth Poland, he added the farm and park to his own estate at nearby Downlands, and two years later sold off the house, Woolmer Lodge, with 10 acres of land to Carmelite nuns.
From that time the house and grounds have been separated from the former estate and been put to various uses. The nuns built single storey extensions to increase the accommodation, planted a line of conifers on the boundary to guard their privacy, and cultivated a large garden to supply their needs. In 1968 the nuns moved to Norfolk; the house and grounds were sold again and made into an old peoples home by Mrs Vivien Bushell, she also changed the name to Ludshott Manor. In 1974 the use changed to a hospital of alternative medicine, this only lasted until 1980, and two years later it was bought by David Wyn and opened as a retirement home. None of these enterprises proved financially successful.
In 2002, Ludshott Manor was bought by Macleod Developments, the house was converted into nine apartments and houses with another 14 new ones in the grounds, all enjoying the 10 acres of private grounds. Some of the new build is in the old walled garden, where as much as possible of the old wall has been retained. The oldest building extant on the site, Stable Cottage, has not been included in the development. A 10 year management plan of the grounds is being implemented.
In 2007, Ludshott Manor is a 10 acre pleasure ground surrounded by park and farmland originally belonging to the 11th century manor. In 1825 the estate and farm were bought by Sir James Macdonald who built a new mansion, Woolmer Lodge, on the site and laid out the Victorian garden. During the 20th century the outlying land was progressively sold, and Woolmer Lodge, renamed Ludshott Manor, has recently been developed into 23 individual residences, 14 of them new build, in the 10 acre garden. There are fine views of the parkland and the South Downs.
HGT Research: November 2007
Bramshott Tithe Award Map HRO 18M59/2 1846
OS 1st ed.25” HCC 1871
OS 1st ed. 6” HCC 1872
Map of Bramshott Manor included in Scenes of Rural Life in Hampshire Capes, W W 1901
OS 3rd ed 25” 1909 HCC 1909
OS 3rd ed 6” 1910 HCC 1910
OS map 2005 1: 5001 HCC
Hartley Library Special Collections
1897 Kelly’s Directory
1923 Kelly’s Directory
Ice & Icehouses Through the Ages by Monica Ellis 1982
Scenes of Rural Life in Hampshire Capes, W W. Pub. McMillan 1901
Special Collections, Hartley Library, University of Southampton. Cope BRAM052
Victoria County History, Vol 3 Page W 1903 Special Collections, Hartley Library, University of Southampton
Hampshire Record Office
Estate Sale brochure 2A05/2 1909
Sales Particulars of Ludshott Manor IM36 1981
Filing Box ‘F:Ludshott manor Architecture’1550-1982 2AO5/4/F7 1982
A History of Ludshott Manor by Philip Gorton 2A05/13/4 2004
Ludshott Management Company Ltd:
Photos accompanying the Landscape Proposals & Management Plan by Leithgoe 2001
Landscape Proposals & Management Plan by Leithgoe