|HCC Site ID:||1426||Parish:||East Tytherley|
|Designations:|| House, Gatehouses, stable block,
game larder & icehouse all LB II
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
On the southern edge of East Tytherley village, within extensive parkland.
In the fifteenth century the land on which Lockerley Hall now stands was part of the estate of the manor of East Tytherley of Tytherley and Lockerley. In 1654 the manor was sold to Francis Rolle, remaining in the Rolle family until 1801. Purchased by the Wakeford family, the lands were subsequently acquired by, and later divided between, Isaac Goldsmid, who took the Tytherley side of the estate and Francis Baily, who took the Lockerley side. Baily’s side was sold after his death to William Fothergill Cooke, joint inventor of the electric telegraph, who, in 1849, erected Oaklands House, a substantial house with conservatory attached, stabling and two large kitchen gardens. The lawn, pleasure grounds and shrubberies contained specimen trees, including Wellingtonia, araucaria, rhododendrons and cypresses. Oaklands House was sold in 1856 to Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety, founder of Dalgety and Co. Born in Canada, he had become one of Australia’s eminent entrepreneurs. Dalgety razed Oaklands in 1868 and built Lockerley Hall on the site. The house was completed in 1871 in a neo-Elizabethan style by William Burn, of the firm Burn, McVicar and Anderson. The original Oaklands’ kitchen gardens and hothouses were retained, as were specimen trees. New building in the grounds included a stable block, conservatory, a gas works and an ice well beneath the game larder. Belief that William Eden Nesfield may have been involved in either the house or the garden design cannot be substantiated, though Nesfield was working at Broadlands at the time and designed Romsey National Boys’ School (now the Library) in 1872. Remodelling of the earlier gardens was extensive and there are references to a pine house, extensions to the glasshouses, vineries and a peach house. Photos of the gardens in the later nineteenth century show terracing and parterres typical of the period. Between 1930 and 1932 the north wing of the house was demolished and the southern part of the estate sold. The house was purchased from the Dalgety family in 1983 by Roger Croft who began an extensive restoration as by this time the original planting had been lost, much of the garden had been laid to lawn and the shrubberies, rose garden and pond garden were overgrown. Under the aegis of Jim Buckland the walled gardens, parterres and approach planting were restored and a new maze was laid out. By 1990 restoration was well under way and the gardens opened to the public for a few days. In 1993 the estate was sold and new owners have developed Lockerley Hall farm, establishing a notable herd of Aberdeen Angus. The orchard and walled garden were converted to paddocks for ménage and polo use.
A good example of an estate specifically laid out for sporting and hunting compared to earlier eighteenth century parks; the local hunt maintains rights of access to the grounds. The main gardens survive, as does the maze and the planting of the approach drives.
Victorian landscaped park and gardens; neo-Elizabethan house of 1868 – 1871 built on former site of 1849 house. Grade II house, gatehouses and stable block. House extensively remodelled in 1930 – 1932. Walls of earlier kitchen gardens and orchard intact; restored parterre, terracing and game larder with ice well remain.
HGT Research: January 2007