|HCC Site ID:||1321||Parish:||Bramshott & Liphook|
|Designations:||HE II; House, gazebo &
walls all LB
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Historic development & Current description
Harry Inigo Triggs (1876–1923), author, architect, and garden designer, purchased an C18 farmhouse with surrounding land and laid out gardens, as well as designing a new house for himself in 1910 as an extension of the existing farmhouse.
A drive leads south-east through an arched gatehouse (Inigo Triggs, reconstructed 1910 from existing cottages, listed grade II) and by a straight formal approach of c 50m between banks planted with herbaceous plants and shrubs, backed by hedges, to a gate. Beyond the gate is a gravelled forecourt on the north-west side of the house, bordered by clipped yew hedges.
The house (listed grade II) was built in a romantic Arts and Crafts style in course sandstone.
The inner edge of the L-shaped house wraps around two sides of a rectangular sunken garden, in a formal neo-Elizabethan style. The centre is sunk within low stone walls and is approached by steps on the south-east and north-west sides. The lower level is laid to lawn, divided by a narrow brick canal or rill across the length of the sunken garden (from south-west to north-east), with a central rectangular dipping pool from which rises a brick column supporting a putto (a copy of one in the Baptistery in Florence, the present version being a late 20th century replacement of Inigo Triggs’ copy) at the centre. Box clipped into balls line the edges and box spirals stand in the centre of each of the beds.
In the south corner of the sunken garden is a diagonally placed corner gazebo or pavilion (listed grade II together with the walls of the sunken garden), built of brick with an arched entrance and an ogee pyramidal tiled roof, crowned by a weathervane. The garden is bounded by a perimeter stone wall on two sides, which has regularly spaced taller stone piers supporting wooden beams with climbing plants. A timber gate on the south-east side gives a view of the paddocks beyond, which are approached up a flight of semicircular stone steps. These paddocks wrap around the north, east, and south sides of the gardens, with tennis courts at the northern end. There are scattered mature deciduous trees within the paddocks and a mature boundary belt of mixed deciduous and coniferous trees
Another gated entrance (with late C20 gates in early 20th century style) leads from the south-west side of the garden into a garden known as the Green Court. This consists of a sunken P-shaped lawn bordered by low stone walls.
A pool planned by Inigo Triggs for the centre of the southern half was never executed (Jekyll and Weaver 1913) but the rest of the design is as planned. In the north-west corner, at the end of the boundary wall which extends westwards from the house, is a brick dovecote with a tiled roof (listed grade II together with the gazebo and walls), built up from the wall. A path leads around the dovecote to a large open lawn to the north of the house, backed by clipped hedges on two sides and by large mature shrubberies and trees on the other two sides. On rising ground above the house is a lawn beneath mature trees which is known as the Tea Lawn.
An area of lawned kitchen garden and orchard lies immediately south-west of the forecourt and is reached by a short flight of stone steps from there. It is surrounded by hedges, trees, and shrubberies and is laid out with rose beds beneath fruit trees at the southern end and as a kitchen garden at the northern end. A large early 20th century brick shed with a tiled roof is situated in the north-east corner with a late 20th century greenhouse to the north.
Adapted from the English Heritage Entry, 2000 ed 2001 and 2004
Click here to visit Historic England site for this location