|HCC Site ID.||1981||Parish:||Gosport|
|Access:||Public access||Ownership:||Gosport Borough Council|
In 1894, a railway station opened on the sea front and a year later the foundation stone was laid for the pier, which was opened in 1898. The 2nd ed 1898 OS map indicates there was a half moon shape directly opposite the entrance to the pier, which by 1928 had been made into a remembrance garden with the War Memorial centrally placed. In 1935, the Lee Tower, an Art Deco complex, with tower, cinema, ballroom and restaurant, was built on the sea front next to the old pier and railway station. The garden remained, although the paths appear to have been changed. The pier was demolished in 1958 and the Tower in 1971. The area has been redesigned and the garden and memorial moved to the south east and made into a sunken garden.
The garden has been specifically designed to accommodate a memorial cross, which carries the names of those from this area who were killed during the two world wars. It is mainly a rectangular hedged sunken garden which offers protection from the wind. Its lower walls are shaped in an approximate figure of eight to allow the planting of shrubs and bedding plants between the outer hedges and the walls. The cross, on the seaward side of a small grassed area, is surrounded by a path. There are some seats in the garden and the inner sides of the walls have hooks on which wreaths can be attached. On the landward side, the outer hedges are curved with steps and wheel chair access to the garden in the centre. The garden is well maintained. At the time of the visit the Victorian style bedding planting was not yet in position.
HGT Research: May 2015
History of Le-on-Solent Pier http://www.piers.org.uk/pierpages/NPSleeonsolent.html [accessed 22 May 2015]
Britain from above 1928 website: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ [accessed 22 May 2015]
Information board on seafront 20 May 2015