Langdown Lawn

You are here Home  > Historic sites >  Langdown Lawn
Item image
HCC Site ID: 1063 Parish: Hythe and Dibden
Designations: Area:
Access: Historic site Ownership: Golden Hind housing estate

Image: Remaining tree in middle of housing site

Location and Site

Once one of the many Victorian villas of Hythe, the site of Langdown Lawn now encompasses the Golden Hind estate off Mullins Lane.

Historic Development

The house was built before 1869 as the 1st ed OS map, 1870 (HCC), shows Langdown Lawn house with gardens to the west and east. Kelly’s Directories for 1895 and 1903 note Tony Benskin living in the house: 64 acres are recorded. By 1911 Mrs Benskin is noted as the resident householder.
The 4th ed 1932 OS map (HCC) shows a large house with a greenhouse and fountain in the grounds. Pasture land to the east is also shown. A substantial driveway from what is now Langdown Lane leads up to a circular area with lawn to the front of the house. There were many conifers along the drive.
In 1935, the house was owned by Hotel Construction Ltd and had become the Langdown Lawn Hotel. In 1937 the Parish Council sought to acquire 9 acres for public use. In 1939, there were further negotiations for 5.5 acres of a cricket ground but the transactions did not take place. (124M85/Px1-2 HRO).
In 1943, the hotel became the Golden Hind Hotel (Curtis and Pritchard) and in 1945, the acquisition of part of the estate by the Parish Council was back on the agenda and this time 11 acres of land for a recreation ground was purchased, now part of what was pasture land to the east of the house. (124M85/3 HRO)
The OS map around 1980 (HCC) shows the Golden Hind estate where the house and gardens stood.

Current Description

A housing estate with a recreation ground on part of the once 64 acres.

Langdown Lawn - remaining pathway leading to housing estate

Langdown Lawn – remaining pathway leading to housing estate

Langdown Lawn - remnants of former entrance

Langdown Lawn – remnants of former entrance

Summary

One of the many Victorian villas and gardens in the Dibden and Hythe area, Langdown Lawn became the Golden Hind housing estate off Mullins lane with a recreation ground on its Eastern side.
Information: 2001

References

Curtis, I &Pritchard T Then and Now: The Changing Scenes of Hythe and the Waterside
HRO Hampshire Record Office
124M85/Px1-2 Parish Council correspondence records
124M85/Px 3
HCC Hampshire County Council
OS maps


Our address

Address:
Hythe and Dibden Historic site Click for Disclaimer & copyright
GPS:
50.85941246073276, -1.4077520370483398

Comments are closed.