|HCC Site ID:||1572||Parish:||Sparsholt|
|Designations:|| HE II*; LB II* – House, walled garden & dovecote;
LB II – barn, granary and walls Park
|Access:||Public Access to hotel and grounds||Ownership:||Private|
Remains early formal gardens and park, walled gardens, approx 22ha, late C17 to early C18.
House, c.1700 on early C17 core. Balustraded terrace. Small topiary garden. Earthworks of symmetrical turfed terraces, descending from east front to site of pond. Avenue of limes c.one km long on axis of terraces, now obscured by natural wood- land, originally formally planted as row of limes, row of Scotch firs, row of beeches alternating with cedars. Planted for visual effect, never used as drive. Avenues north and south of house. Symmetrical walled forecourt with brick loggia, entrance to court over dry moats, banded gate piers, iron gates. Hexagonal walled fruit or kitchen garden, c.5.3ha, now a car park. Iron gates, leading to avenue or walk into woodland to west. Dovecot. Ruins of church. Record of G Jekyll commission, 1923.
Bilikowski K, Hampshire’s Countryside Heritage 5: Historic Parks and
Country Life, 8 March 1919 p252.
Pevsner N, Lloyd D, Hampshire, 1967.
Hyde Historic Resources Centre photographs by R Savage, Mid 19 century, Photo No. 4663, 4673, 4675
Old English Heritage listing,
Click here to visit Historic England site for this location