|HCC Site ID.||1945||Parish:||Andover|
|Designations:||SINC, Iron bridge listed II||Area:||1.5 hectares|
|Access:||Public Access||Ownership:||Test Valley Borough Council|
Photo: Iron Bridge
Location and site
Ladies Walk is a footpath located on the south eastern edge of Andover in the north of the borough, between the entrance at Old Winton Road crossing over Micheldever Road and ending at the A3093. It is on chalk downland ridge 115m above sea level and is just under 2 kms in length.
Ladies Walk was laid out by the Enclosure Award Commissioners in conjunction with the Corporation of Andover in 1785. The walk itself uses part of the pre-Roman track known as the Mark Way. In 1863 it was planted with 121 trees to commemorate the wedding of His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The trees were donated by the citizens of Andover and comprised of chesnut, beech, sycamore, lime, oak, elm, larch, poplar and yew.
Ladies Walk is still used by walkers and is suitable for pushchairs and wheelchairs, and seating is provided along its length. Panoramic views have been created onto the meadows and across Andover. Many of the old trees are still in situ and tree maintenance is currently in progress . It is owned by Test Valley Borough Council and a new management plan is under development.
Summary and Significance
It is one of the few remaining Ladies Walks in the UK which were designated as an area for public use following the Enclosure Act of 1784/5. Many of the trees planted in 1863 still remain and there is also a grade II listed iron bridge.
HGT Research: October 2019
• HRO 22M93/13 Bundle of Edmund Parsons’ handwritten note, 1930s
• HRO 37M85/10/MP/2, Plan of Ladies Walk Andover shewing the trees planted in commemoration of the marriage of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales with Her Royal Highness the Princess Alexandra of Denmark. 1863.