|HCC Site ID:||1819||Parish:||Kings Worthy|
|Designations:||CA, House LB II||Area:||Small (0.5ha)|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Kings Worthy Grove is situated on the corner of the A33 and the road to the Worthys, in Kings Worthy, approximately one to two miles north east of Winchester.
The house was built about 1830 with a stable block. The 1st ed 25″ OS map, 1870, shows a typical 19th century small villa landscape with perimeter path, shrubberies and specimen trees. The garden may have extended SW when alterations to the A33 road junction was made. The garden was restored in the 1990s with restoration of the lawns, garden beds and replacement of many trees and shrubs; also a pergola, fountain and pond. A plan at that time indicated that much of the original layout still survives.
The 1990s restoration of the grounds has been maintained. The high perimeter planting has been reduced to reveal sight of the gardens.
House early 19th century; small villa landscape garden restored in 1990s.
Information: February 2003