|HCC Site ID:||1295||Parish:||Knellwood ward|
|Access:||Public Access||Ownership:||Rushmoor Borough Council|
Location and Site
The park is to the east of the town centre in an area of mostly post war housing with some new development. It is an open site with a central oak avenue and sport pitches either side. The new pavilion is elevated above the pitches to the east of the park with a viewing terrace at the front of the building.
The park is in the grounds of what used to be Knellwood House estate and was acquired by Farnborough District Council c.1902. The remaining mature oak avenue is thought to have been planted to screen the new railway. The ornamental garden at the southerly, gated entrance was a post war development, conveniently placed next to the parks department main depot which is now a storage facility next to the school.
A well used open park, predominantly down to amenity grass with sports pitches marked out. The pavilion serves to host sports teams and the football and cricket pitches are booked via Rushmoor Borough Council. Paths are good. The park is also used for community events like the long running annual ‘Donkey Derby’ and a music event organised by the local Rotary Club. Mature trees are in good condition, some varied age younger specimens are seen on the North side of the park along from the play area. The children’s play area has been renovated, is clean, secure and well used.
Summary & Significance
The park is a good example of an open space that serves the recreational needs of the local people. The oak avenue is the main feature which gives reference to the parks history although there are other mature parkland trees, particularly in the margins. The pavilion and sports pitches are booked via the Rushmoor website.
Click here for Rushmoor web page