|HCC Site ID:||1389||Parish:||Rowlands Castle|
|Designations:||House LB II, AONB||Area:||93.1 ha (2001)|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Mulitple occupation & farmland|
Location and site
Idsworth Park is at the southern foot of the Chalk Downs of Chalton and Idsworth and is to the east of the settlement of Horndean.
Idsworth Park was created in the mid-19th century by the Clarke-Jervoise family when the London-Portsmouth railway was built within yards of their original seat a mile or so east.
The house was designed by William Burn and completed by 1852. It was visible for miles around and was adjacent to the family’s favourite shooting ground, Wick Hanger. Its planting was planned and executed by Jervoise Clarke-Jervoise (1804-1889) and remains recognisable from his pencilled annotations. The house was approached by a carriage drive through parkland, past the home farm, to a west entrance flanked by plantations and walks. East of the house a parterre and terrace led to lawn and low planting, with a NE vista up to Folly Wood and a SE vista down to Northwood Farm. North of the house were an orchard, walled garden, bothy and icehouse, with woodland walks through surprisingly steep terrain. The orchard excepted, these features survive, maintained by a committed Residents Association. An undated sunken garden has been emptied of debris and replanted.
After 1892 the Clarke-Jervoise family were not always able to live at Idsworth, but in 1912, under the 6th baronet, H S Goodhart-Rendel added a music room to the south-east corner to overlook Burn’s vistas. In 1920, under the 7th Baronet, Idsworth had glasshouses of orchids, peaches and nectarines. Under Major Arthur Francis Clarke-Jervoise, who lived at Idsworth from 1948 until his death in 1974, the grounds provided grapes for the table at Christmas and a daily carnation for his buttonhole.
After Major Clarke-Jervoise’s death in 1974, the House and outbuildings were converted into multiple living units; Wick Hanger and the parkland became part of neighbouring farms.
1852 house on high ground, surrounded by farmland with woods north; house and outbuildings converted into living units. Walled garden, bothy, sunken garden, icehouse and mature trees.Now multiple occupancies and parkland dispersed.
HGT Research: July 2001
1st ed OS map 25” 1868
1st ed OS map 6” 1870
3rd ed OS map 6” 1897
3rd ed OS map 25” 1909
4th ed OS 25” 1932
Farlington and Purbrook Parish Magazine
Wessex Series, Campion P, c1920
Portsmouth Evening News 22/6/1964
Hampshire Record Office
18M64/1/3 Plans and alterations to house and gardens
43M75/E/ diary extracts of Jervoise Clarke-Jervoise
57M92 the Clarke-Jervoise archive compiled by the late Dr K S Southam 1976-92
Blendworth Enclosure map and Award Q23/2/15 and Q23/1/2 1816
261M87/1 Sales catalogue 1975
Views in the neighbourhood of Havant, Rowlands Castle, Stansted etc
taken on the spot by C R Cotton of Stansted College, Havant Museum Vol II plates 21 and 22