|HCC Site ID:||1766||Parish:||Hurstbourne Tarrant|
|Designations:|| House LB II*,
Garden wall LB II
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Ibthorpe House lies on the east side of the village of Ibthorpe. The house and gardens are on the gentler slope of the River Swift, the other side of the valley rises more steeply, giving fine views from the front of the house.
Ibthorpe House was built onto an existing farmhouse in the mid-eighteenth century and is a good example of a Georgian Manor house, listed II*. The walled garden about 0.6 ha (1.5acres) was a later addition. A high wall surrounds the back garden to the north and a low flint and brick wall surrounds the smaller front garden to the south. The high wall is 19th century, listed Grade II. A doorway through the wall leads to land that was added in the 20th century for a tennis court.
There have been many occupants and owners of the house, the longest being William John Bound’s family from the mid 19th century to 1930 and Elizabeth Hogg from 1945 to at least 1988. In the late 18th century Jane Austen and members of her family were frequent visitors to Mrs Lloyd and her daughters, Martha and Mary and in 1796 Jane’s brother James married Mary Lloyd. During WWI Samuel Carrington rented the house and his daughter, the artist Dora Carrington spent time there, setting up a small studio in the garden and painting the view from there of Windmill Hill in the snow.
The lawn in the front garden sets off the Georgian house, clothed in climbers to the first floor. The house stands on a slightly raised terrace planted with a selection of small shrubs and flowering plants, some in separate beds. The garden immediately to the rear is divided into three areas; an avenue of espaliered fruit trees with generous herbaceous borders line a narrow grass path through the central area. The fruit trees were probably planted in the early 20th century. A larger lawn and narrower borders comprise the north-eastern side. The north-western section is larger with a traditional kitchen garden area some distance from the house, while towards the house are specimen trees set in an open lawn, a grassed lawn with mixed borders, and double paeony beds. On the western side of the house there are various outbuildings including a thatched grainstore set in a grassy area which overlooks a secret garden. Steps from the grainstore, and also through an archway, lead to this small garden. It is a private oasis with 2 seating areas, and is filled with roses and other scented shrubs and plants, which tumble over the gravel path.
A good example of a traditional English garden setting off a mid 18th century Georgian manor house, listed II*, which is surrounded by 19th century garden walls, the northern one being listed Grade II. It has literary and artistic connections with Jane Austen and her family, and with the artist, Dora Carrington.
HGT Research: June 2004; updated June 2007