|HCC Site ID:||1220||Parish:||East Woodhay|
|Designations:||AONB, Grade II||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Location and Site
Hollington Park is situated to the south of Woolton Hill. The house stands on a small promontory looking south east over the woods and parkland towards Highclere. The landscape is crossed by a network of footpaths giving panoramic views of the wider landscape. A house in the approximate location of Hollington is shown on the 1810 Old Series OS map.
The manor of EAST WOODHAY was the property of the See of Winchester, which was confirmed by Edward I in 1284. In 1648 – East Woodhay was included in the sale of the bishop’s lands, being purchased by James Storey, and the capital messuage or manor-house with the lands belonging, which in 1575 the bishop had granted on a lease of three lives to Edward Goddard in 1616. At the accession of Charles II, the manor was restored to the bishopric, and in 1703 the Bishop of Winchester was said to be the owner of the manor. The manor became part of the estates of the Earl of Carnarvon between 1821- 1910.
In the 1890s, the estate was acquired by Mr W.P.Taylor who commissioned Sir Arthur Blomfield one of the last great Gothic revivalists, to design and build a mansion on the site. In his article on Hollington, published in the Builder Journal Sir Arthur declared that the original house had no architectural or antiquarian value, so it was demolished to make way for the new mansion. Elements of the original layout such as the garden on the south-west, the terrace foundation on the south-east, and the position and direction of the existing drive, were retained, and must have included the retention of mature trees. Bricks were manufactured at Hollington from about 1750 to 1920.
Major introductions in the walled gardens in keeping with such a new mansion included contracts for the supply of a peach house; Muscat vinery, forcing house, plant house, orchid house and mushroom beds from the company of Thomas Goode Messenger. In 1907 the estate was sold to Mr E.F. Kelly, who commissioned Gertrude Jekyll to design a garden on the site. In her notes for the formal layout, she instructs that mature trees should be retained. Elements in the design included:
• The Green Garden
• American garden – very fashionable at that time as American plants were introduced
• Borders south of lawn.
• Detailed planting, part in plan and part in elevation
• Plans for two sides of “full sized” croquet lawn
The structure of the garden the terraces, lawns and plant beds close to the buildings are intact. Planting schemes may be in line with Jekyll’s designs. No close inspection was possible. Beyond the park, the estate connects with a network of footpaths, giving fine views of Pilot Hill, Recent changes to this site have significantly reduced the extent of the park and its outbuildings.
Much of the original layout of the gardens survive although major changes have resulted from the recent sale of the walled gardens and other adjacent buildings and land. The mansion atributed to Sir Arthur Blomfield is a lasting legacy to the Victorian Gothic style of architecture. It is a feature of this downland landscape that in spite of it’s dramatic presence, it integrates well into this undulating tree and hedge covered landscape, glimpsed only from the winding lanes around the property.
Formal setting to a Grade 11 house, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield. The park retains the elements of an 19th century park, featuring open parkland, vistas framed by stands of mature native trees.
The garden designed by Gertrude Jelyll appears to have been executed to her design. The structure created by paths and steps, plant beds and walkways have survived.
Landscape Planning Status :
TPO etc The belt of trees enclosing the park from the north
Ancient Woodland Inventory Map 17, parts of Rough Copse are ancient semi-natural woodland other areas including High Tree Copse, Furzeground Copse, Long Gulley and Great Copse are described as ancient replanted woodland
Research: EM Consultants for Basingstoke & Deane: January 2010