|HCC Site ID.||1506||Parish:||Cheriton|
|Designations:||SDNP, AONB, AHBR||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Click here for Copyright of Image
Location and site
Hockley House is located to the south west of Cheriton village on the A272 road from Winchester to Petersfield. The area is predominantly farmland and is now within the South Downs National Park.
The oldest part of the house dates back to the early 18th century. It was owned by the Hockley family, who gave it its present name, until the early 19th century. The garden is sheltered by a magnificent yew hedge, and the grounds contain some beautiful trees. Rare flowers such as the bee orchid and Cephalantheria sifolia were found in the wood and park.
Early 18th century house; magnificent yew hedge, beautiful specimen trees and rare flowers in wood and park.
Information: February 2003