|HCC Site ID:||1548||Parish:||Kings Worthy|
|Designations:||Area:||Was about 3 acres|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:|
Photo of house: Charters Sales Catalogue, Winchester
Location and Site
Hinton House is situated in the village of Kings Worthy and is accessed on a drive north east of the A33 road from Winchester to Basingstoke near the junction with the road to the Worthys. It is approximately two and half miles north east of Winchester with playing fields and open farmland to the north and east.
Hinton House appears on the 1st ed OS map (1869) with its lodge at the entrance to the long avenue of trees leading from what is now the A33 to Basingstoke. The avenue ends with a circular drive and there are two walled gardens stretching behind the house westwards. Sales details of 1908 describe the Capital Croquet lawn in front of the entrance surrounded by well-grown ornamental trees and flowering shrubs. Also described are attractive pleasure grounds consisting of a double tennis lawn, a Croquet lawn, shady walks, grass slopes and flower beds bounded on the SE by a park-like paddock. The well-stocked kitchen garden had fruit trees and 6’6″ high walls and a forcing house heated by hot water pipes and a lean-to potting shed.
When it no longer was lived in as a family home it was used as a repository for the Hampshire Wardrobe. The house was later incorporated into Kings Worthy Primary School with some out buildings privately owned and the stable block an adult learning centre. The lodge is a private house. In the late 1980s, pressure was brought to preserve one of the walled gardens which for a while was a fruit garden and successfully used as a teaching resource. The chalk wall had a flint and rubble core and parts of the building were built out of what is believed to be dense chalk blocks thrown up at the time of the building of the railway.
In 2006 a decision was taken to sell off the house and garden and invest in a new school building. The house was sold in 2008, it is believed with a condition of being maintained as one private dwelling with gardens.It remains as one of the few ‘villas’ built in Kingsworthy in the 19th century following the arrival of the railway. that is still a private house. Further renovated and on the market again 2013/14 with sale as one private house or a house and apartment.
One of the Victorian villas of Kings Worthy still standing and for some time incorporated into Kings Worthy Primary School; The long drive survives. House and garden sold for private use in 2008. Substantially renovated and up for sale again. 2013/14.
Information:March 2004, updates 2008 and 2013
Os maps 1st ed 1869,
2nd ed 1987
3rd ed 1909
Sales Details 29/07/1908, Devon Record Office – Rippon & Boswell, no 512