|HCC Site ID:||1574||Parish:||Swanmore|
|Designations:||SDNP, House LB II||Area:||Medium|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Photo: Sales Catalogue
Location and Site
Hill House lies to the east of Bishops Waltham and south of Upper Swanmore on chalk downs.
Hill Place is a late 18th century LB II square house of yellow brick with a striking open balustraded parapet. It was an enclosed park. In 1916 when the estate was broken up and sold in lots, the estate consisted of c405 ha (1000 acres), stabling, two farms, cottages, parkland, sporting woodlands and a beautifully timbered miniature park. 19.5 ha (48 acres), including the house were sold as one lot. A farm and woodlands still adjoin Hill Place.
The house and grounds have passed to a new generation who have re-created some of the house’s past as a popular wedding venue. What is left of the gardens has also been restored.
Late 18th century house; enclosed park; woodlands adjoin. Much reduced grounds and now a popular wedding venue. (2012)
Information: February 2003