|HCC Site ID:||1154||Parish:||Heckfield|
|Designations:||House LB II*||Area:|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||House/Conference Centre|
Image from Highfield Park website
In 1328 a licence was granted to Robert de Manefeo for a deer park at Heckfield. Taylor’s map of 1759 shows an avenue of trees north of the house, then dividing into three further avenues to Risley Common, Risley Mill, and to a lodge (later noted as a lime avenue); another avenue parallel to the first goes north to the road from Risley. The fishpond is shown on the later 18th century maps. In 1757 the property was incorporated into the Stratfield Saye estate. This was just about the time that Lieut. Colonel William Augustus Pitt took up residence. He was governor of Portsmouth and A.D.C. to George III, who visited the house with Queen Charlotte. During his occupancy he carried out the alterations to the house, pleasure grounds, and probably had the walled gardens built. He died in 1809. Ten years later is the first recorded date of the change of name from Heckfield to Highfield Park. A farm had been built in the park west of the house by 1872 when the 1st edition O.S. map was printed.
Neville Chamberlain died there in 1940.
In the 1980’s it was noted as a Countryside Heritage site. The listed grade II Queen Anne house is now a conference centre. Park pales remain to the north and south west of the main house. The lodge, walled gardens, parkland with fishpond and island remain.
Historic deer park and 18th century landscape park, gardens and grounds, forming setting to Grade II* house, visited by George III. In the 18th century the land formed part of Stratfield Saye estate (EH Register II). Neville Chamberlain died here in 1940.
Information: October 2000