|HCC Site ID:||1532||Parish:||Headbourne Worthy|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private|
Photo: FPDSavills Sales Catalogue 2002
Location and Site
Headbourne Worthy Grange is situated on Church Lane, off Worthy Lane in Headbourne Worthy. The settlement lies approximately 2 miles (3.2km) to the north of Winchester on the western side of the Itchen Valley, separated by open farm land adjacent to Andover Road North (Barton Farm). The Grange is within an area of mixed rural / semi-rural downland, farmland and open countryside (Worthys online 2013).
The large private residence used to be a Rectory until some time before or after WWI. It then was the home of Lady Strathconer who was well known for her gardening interest and cooperated with Hilliers in training their staff in the garden at the Grange. Lewis Palmer, Lady Strathconer’s brother-in-law and a former vice-president of the Royal Horticultural Society, also lived there. He bred many plants, including the Headbourne Hybrid agapanthus. There are many mature trees, a rose garden, pergola and the lawns slope away to the kitchen garden and extensive fruit cage. The lawns include a revolving summerhouse.
A late 19th century house, previously a rectory; then lived in by Lewis Palmer, breeder of agapanthus; evidence of his influence in the planting.
Information: April 2003
Worthys online 2013: http://www.theworthys.org.uk/HWcouncil.php [accessed 11 April 2013]