|HCC Site ID:||1150||Parish:||Hawley|
|Designations:|| CA; House and stable LB II;
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:|| Private residences/ flats
and Riding stables
The house and parkland date from the late 18th century. The main development of the park appears to be during the mid 19th century when it was bounded by 3 roads, Fernhill Road, Fernhill Lane and Hawley Road. The 1844 tithe map and the 1872 O.S. map show a walled garden with greenhouses; stable block; a lodge at each of the 2 entrances, north, and south, plus another in the north. To the west, beyond the parkland, there was an extensive area of woodland, criss-crossed with paths. The largest area of parkland was developed in the east, incorporating a part of Hawley Green. A ha-ha was created, defining the eastern extent of the garden and dividing if off from the parkland. A path along the top of the ha-ha was part of a circuit walk around the lawn, which led to a summerhouse in the north east. This area had specimen trees and was bounded to the north and south by woodland and shrubbery.
Later features have been added to the garden, these include a rock maze, a small water garden and associated rockery, and various garden outbuildings to the north west of the house. Some of these remain, but in a poor state. There has been a considerable amount of scrub development in the eastern section and along the ha-ha, which obscures views to and from the east parkland. The summerhouse has been demolished, but a small covered timber seat remains.
Hawley Park Farm now occupies the southern part of the estate bordering Fernhill Lane. The house has been divided into flats. The two lodges in the north appear to be sold, and houses built between them. In both west and east parklands there are mature trees. Management of the parklands has been neglected in recent years.
Hawley Park is an 18th century house and park with 19th century walled garden and pleasure grounds altered and added to in the C20. The site is a multi-layered composition representing the different historic phases in the development of the landscape. It not only forms the setting to the listed buildings but also contributes to the distinct character of the local area, and is recognised by the conservation area designation.
Information: October 2000