|HCC Site ID:||1139||Parish:||Hartley Wintney|
|Designations:||House LB II||Area:||58 ha|
|Access:||No Public Access||Ownership:||Private residences|
Hartley Grange is a listed late 17th century early 18th century house with conservatory. When the 1844 tithe map was produced, the parkland was mainly to the front of the house bordering Grange Lane. By the time the 1st edition O.S. map was printed in 1871, the area of parkland extended to the south and west of the house. Belt walk around the park; walled garden with greenhouse and fountain; formal pleasure garden with fountain; approach drive from east with entrance lodge; and deciduous and coniferous tree planting is in evidence. Hartley Grange Farm, to the south of the Grange was built. It is uncertain who purchased the additional land. It is known that Horatio Bland had the lodge built, and that Mr Walkinshaw, the Scottish banker, who took up residence in 1869, extended the house in 1893. In 1921 the estate was for sale in 4 lots. It included the Grange, and parkland; the home farm; some cottages and grassland. The additional parkland noted in 1871 was probably incorporated into Hartley Grange Farm. The house, a cottage, and immediate grounds to Grange Lane was purchased by A D Stoop, who was the driving force in setting up rugby at Twickenham. He died in 1945 and had bequeathed the Grange to the natives of Hartley Wintney to be used as a hospital.
In the 1960’s the Grange was divided into several dwellings with some garden for each on the west side. The gardens between the main dwellings and Grange Lane have a few mature trees, a new wall has been built on the northern side, and clipped hedges screen the entrances from the road. A few trees remain.
A 19th century park, walled garden formal gardens, lodge providing setting to listed C17/19th century house.
Information: October 2000